LG
Posted By
Lorace Graham
Sep 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m afraid I’m starting to be a pest…but…last week I installed the update because I thought it was a necessity.

Well, now my Smartmedia Reader is giving me fits. It works, but differently than it used to, and once I download the pictures from my Olympus Digital, all the pictures in the camera are erased.

Is there a way to uninstall this? I read the download page and couldn’t quite understand it. As I recall, I gave permission to change my Registry at the time I opened the file.

For the record, I’m using Windows XP HE, IE 5.1, on an HP Pavilion with plenty of RAM and large HD.

Thanks for any advice and I apologize for writing so often.

Lorace

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NS
Nancy S
Sep 8, 2003
Lorace,

Are you perhaps using "Cut and Paste" to transfer the files from the Oly folder on the Reader drive to a permanent folder on your hard drive? Using Cut would explain that. If I have missed the boat, I’m sorry, come back.
BB
brent bertram
Sep 8, 2003
Lorace,
I think that it is unlikely that the problem is caused by the IgnoreEXIF utility. That is a very simple, unsophisticated text patch, which only toggles a registry value from "true" to "false". I think it’s much more likely that something like Nancy’s scenario is happening. Perhaps, if you can relate the entire sequence of your file transfer, the answer will be apparent to us. By the way, you are not being a pest. If people didn’t need help, we’d have to find some other way to exercise our brains ( crosswords, maybe ? <G> ).

🙂

Brent
JH
Jim Hess
Sep 8, 2003
Its difficult to pinpoint your problem since we don’t know what you are using to download your pictures. If you are simply using Windows Explorer, highlight all your pictures and then right-click while you drag them to the destination folder. When you release your button you can choose whether to move or to copy. I’m afraid I’m too lazy to do even that. So I use software from oFoto to download my pictures. One of the options in that software is to choose whether or not you want the pictures deleted after they are copied. And personally, I like that option.
LG
Lorace Graham
Sep 8, 2003
Wonderful replies, as usual! As long as you don’t think the problems is with the EXIF file – then I am in a quandry.

Actually, I get my pictures into the computer with no problem. It’s just that it changed so radically & suddenly.

I use a Smartmedia Reader to upload the pictures (from my desktop). Prior to the EXIF file, the normal windows menu would open giving me choices (copy pictures to a folder, etc.) and I could choose the folder and go from there. But my pictures remained in the camera.

Now the pictures are immediately put into the Olympus folder and erased from my digital camera.

I checked the properties on the USB drive that the SmartMedia creates (drive G) but all choices are greyed out.

I can live with this – it’s just surprising that it changed like that. Perhaps I should contact the SmartMedia Co. There is NO software that goes with the reader. It installs immediately upon being connected.

Appreciate you all,
Lorace
NS
Nancy S
Sep 8, 2003
Lorace,

If you are using WinXP, which it sounds like you are, I would try removing the Reader from the system and letting Windows detect and install it again. Using my non-Administrator account in XP Pro even allows me to change settings in the Properties.

Perhaps it is due to the Gremlins…your symptoms make me think that under the AutoPlay tab on the Properties box "Select an action to perform" is checked (the automatic copy pictures to folder) rather than the "Prompt me each time to choose an action". It’s probably worth a try. Personally, I would not like the files erased in this auto manner.

Nancy
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 8, 2003
Lorace,

Building off of what Nancy said, it might be that the Card Reader’s default action is messed up. Normally when you connect a card reader of camera you should get the XP dialog asking what you want to do next, with the choice to set a default action, like Open in Folder or Open in Elements.

To fix this try this. If your card reader is mounted as a drive, go to My Computer and right click on the device. Select properties and you should be able to change the default action for that device.

Rich
NS
Nancy S
Sep 8, 2003
Hmmm…I thought the properties was greyed out.
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 8, 2003
Hmmmm… I may have missed that. No harm in taking another look, otherwise a reinstall of the reader as you suggested should fix it.

Rich – who promises to read better in the future
NS
Nancy S
Sep 8, 2003
Rich,

I think it is very kind of you to take the time from your busy day to lend your expertise to this forum, there’s nothing wrong with you!
LG
Lorace Graham
Sep 10, 2003
Thank you all so much for the neat attention you’ve given my problem.

I was able to get into the properties of the drive and found that it was set up as a MUSIC drive? uh huh? Don’t know how that happened. However, when I changed it to pictures, I could not press the Apply, as it was greyed out.

I continued and chose the Options choice, and then I was able to apply. But the next time I used it, it did the same thing, put my pictures in a folder on that Drive (which I cannot access if the reader is not plugged in)- copied the pictures to a folder elsewhere. But my pictures were still deleted from my camera.

I’ve unplugged and replugged,(USB) rebooting in between, but sorry to say, nothing has changed. This is why I felt it had something to do with the EXIF file, for I never had this problem before.

Thanks, again. I do appreciate you all.

Lorace

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections