JL
Posted By
jann_lipka
Apr 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I´m trying to figure out what comes first in Macs alphabetical order Is it numbers or letters ?

Here is a folder that I sorted alphabetically :

<http://www.lipka.se/extras/alfabet_oredr.jpg>

What is driving me crazy is that number 2 comes first , then number 1 then A and at last B … so it looks like going down with numbers and down with letters …

If I copy the file names (CMD A CMD C ) and paste in text document I end up with completely different order ( compare to above image ! ) :

111.jpg
BB.jpg
2AA.jpg
111A.jpg
AA.jpg
2A.jpg
A.jpg
A1.jpg
AB.jpg
B.jpg

Am I really stupid or what ?

Could anyone pleas enlighten me with the logic of that ? Any link for explanation ?
Thanks .
Please try not to mention UNIX 🙂
This is an important issue while batchprocessing and using File Btrowser ….

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SG
Sylvain_Gingras
Apr 4, 2004
From your jpg;
Click once on the triangle in the blue bar.

It will swap from Z~A to A~Z.

As to the pasted order; {edit} the logic is there but reversed, someone else will be able to explain it. I s**k in english.
JL
jann_lipka
Apr 4, 2004
Ok after clicking on the arrow I get FIRST number 2A, then2AA ( I would expect 111 … ) ande then 111A).

The question is does 2 come before 1 and A;B.C.D,E in english ( MACOSX english )

As to pasted order I don’t understand your "{edit} ??????? " .. Sorry if this is confusing ..
JL
jann_lipka
Apr 4, 2004
The reason I want to sort it out is :
Most of the time I find the best way to sort images is to rename those by simply adding a prefix like A_ or 1_ at the beginning of the file name
The problem is my camera images are named something like 9C2W_1234.TIF so it means so because it is starting with numbers , it will come first in folders ….
Giving files a number prefix like 1_ is not so easy because I want to do my sorting in steps , so for example first initial rank 1_ then 11_ then 111_
but it doesn`t work …
Anyone with better ideas ?

I´m talking some days maybe a 1000 camera images to sort … This is an important time consuming issue that I would like to deal smart with .
SG
Sylvain_Gingras
Apr 4, 2004
Jann

2 comes before 111
1 comes before 2
01 comes before 1
If you have 9999 picts, start with 0001.

The pasted order; I just do not get it, can’t sort the logic out of it.
SG
Sylvain_Gingras
Apr 5, 2004
Jann

I did some test and it seem that in OsX you can go from 1 to 1000 without any problems.

As I recall in Os9 it was not that way because I had to start from 001 in order to get to 100 correctly.

Really sorry if I confused you more than helping.
JL
jann_lipka
Apr 5, 2004
Sylvain ,
I have a lot of fancy re naming tools in Photoshop and Iview Media Pro , but giving files sequential new names it is not the same .

All I want is to bring some files to the front of Alfa orders and some other to the back . I found a solution to this on another forum :

Stay away from numbers , and put a underscore at the file name start . two underscores at the beginning will "narrow " the selection .

"Z" should pull back to the lists end .
There is some other characters that will pull files even farther away but I´m not sure if those are html "safe"

No one seems to know the reason/logic with filenames copied/pasted in apparently random order in OSX ( it worked as expected in OS9, so it must be some of those UNIX "features" , I´m recommended sharewares that can makeit oldfashioned way )

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections