SR
Posted By
S_Rathbone
Apr 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running into an issue that I cannot figure out. I am trying to print labels that have a defined Photoshop template. Whenever I do, Photoshop crops the page and it never comes out in the template correctly. What do I need to do to fix this problem. Photoshop is the only program that I have that has this issue. I use templates in other programs and they print just fine. Can anybody offer me a solution to this problem?

Thanks,
SMR

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Apr 4, 2004
SMR,
Well, it’s hard to guess what your problem might be since you provide absolutely no information. What’s the exact version of Photoshop you are using and your operating system? Printer? Printer driver? Page Setup details? Provenance of the template? Dimensions? Image mode (8-bit, 16-bit, color)? Resolution? File type (psd, tiff, jpeg)? What exactly is happening, what is being cropped and how? Has the template worked before? Do you get any error message. How does it look in Print Preview?

With that information we may be able to figure out what your problem is, and someone might have a solution. I might even be able to suggest something myself –unless your printer is an HP, in which case I won’t even try. 🙂
SR
S_Rathbone
Apr 5, 2004
Sorry. frustration leads to incomplete explanations sometimes. I am running Photoshop 7.0.1 on a Macintosh. The OS is 10.3.3, it’s behaved this way since OS 10.2, at least. The template is a ".psd" file. Printer is an Epson Stylus Color 740. It looks perfect in the preview. Page Setup – 8.5"x11", US Letter, Format for the correct printer. The printer drivers come in the OS, don’t know much other than that. The template is from a Memorex CD/DVD label package. The template has always had this issue. The output ends up being about half an inch off on the bottom edge of the page, I’ve tried adjusting the page size and the scale of the output. Nothing that I’ve done seems to help.

I hope that this is enough information…

Thanks.
R
Ram
Apr 5, 2004
When you go to Page Setup on the "Print with Preview", do you see three boxes labeled "Standard" "Maximum" and "Centered"? Make sure "Maximum" is checked and try again. (Do it on a plain sheet of paper just to test it first.) Let us know if that helped.

One of my printers happens to be the Epson Stylus Color 740, and I do see the dialog box as described, but I’m booting straight into Mac OS 9.2.2.
B
Buko
Apr 5, 2004
On the tail edge of the Epson it needs .56 gripper. what the warnig is telling you is that if you have any image in this area the printer can’t print it. if its white it does not matter. but the print driver can’t tell if the image is white or if the image goes into no print area. all it knows is that the image size is as big as the paper and some clipping will ocure.
R
Ram
Apr 5, 2004
Buko,

I believe the Maximum setting overrides the gripper area. You still have to contend with something of a border, if I remember correctly, but with the Maximum box checked that gets reduced to a minimum. (At least on Mac OS 9.2.2; if Panther can’t handle it, well cats are not for everyone –certainly not for me, whether software cats or real live cats. I spend enough time shooing the neighbor’s cat off my property.)
SR
S_Rathbone
Apr 5, 2004
The "Print with Preview" window does not have a Maximum setting. There is a "Center Image" checkbox in a "Position" section. When unchecked it allows a Top and a Left adjustment. I changed the Left value to zero, I’m printing in landscape mode, and that looks like it might just fix the problem. Well, I’m going to have to tweak this a little bit, at zero it’s off just a hair the other way now. When it is set to "Center" it adjusts to -0.333 inches, so it was off by almost a third of an inch before. Now it’s off by less than that the other way. I adjusted both the top and left to -0.125 and it fits perfectly. Will the program save those settings for future prints now? I hope so.

Thanks for all your help guys. Panther seems to be able to handle this just fine, I just don’t know Photoshop well enough to use it properly. This is a problem with the rider, not the horse…

Thanks again,
SMR
R
Ram
Apr 5, 2004
SMR,

The "Print with Preview" window does not have a Maximum setting.

I know it doesn’t. You would see that setting only if, within that "Print with Preview" dialog window, you click on "Page Setup", which (at least in 9.2.2) takes you to the Epson Page Setup box in which there are the three "Printable Area" settings I described above: two radio buttons labeled respectively "Standard" and "Maximum" as well as a box labeled "Centered".
SR
S_Rathbone
Apr 5, 2004
I told you, I’ve gotten it figured out.

There’s no Printable Area option in the Page Setup dialog either, the Centered checkbox is in the Print With Preview dialog under Panther as I’ve described previously. There is nothing that I see that says Maximum or Standard in either dialog. The only other option is a scale to fit option that doesn’t apply here either.

Obviously 9 and Panther have different options in different places and it’s pointless for me to go back to 9. It doesn’t really matter since I’ve gotten it working now.

Thanks
R
Ram
Apr 5, 2004
Ah, yes, the wonders of the "built-in" drivers in OS X!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections