A
Posted By
abbottt
Apr 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can you tell me what the GCR is please ?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JS
John_Slate
Apr 5, 2004
Do you mean what it means or where the setting is?

The setting is in CMYK color settings when you choose custom. You select the GCR radio button and scroll black generation to maximum

GCR stands for Gray Component Replacement, and means that the higher the amount of GCR you use, the more the black plate is used (and the less the CMY is used) to render not only neutral tones, but also uses more black as "unwanted" color to provide "drawing" to imagery.
J
johnsset
Apr 7, 2004
Okay, thanks John!

All that makes total sense, but I was wondering if there was a place I could set my OWN custom black. Turning on GCR to have black generation be "maximum" sets 0/0/0/100. Is there a way I could, for example, have the default black be my own (or my client’s own) custom setting, say, 20/20/20/80 ?

I realize these are silly numbers, I’m just using them as a hypothetical.
JS
John_Slate
Apr 7, 2004
I imagine profiling software gives you some control over the CMYK build that results from 0R/0G/0B, but I don’t think Photoshop gives you that option.

Not that you can’t create fills of that build in CMYK mode, or do some selective color work in blacks…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections