M
Posted By
Mick
Feb 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am considering replacing a Nvidia card for a graphics card with twin monitor capability. It seems to me that most cards which I have looked at are designed with gamers in mind
speed being upper most in the minds of the developers.
Anyone here using twin monitor graphics card got any
guidelines I should consider.

Mick.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

A
akphotog
Feb 18, 2008
Just make sure you get one that will slide in correctly…I did not realize how many different footprints there were for the card….

"Mick" wrote in message
I am considering replacing a Nvidia card for a graphics card with twin monitor capability. It seems to me that most cards which I have looked at are designed with gamers in mind

Mick.
M
mesa
Feb 18, 2008
Mick wrote:

Mick.

I use a Nvidia 256Mb 8600 chip set. GV-NX86T256H You don’t actually need all the Mb which are on offer as your only making 2D images unlike gamers who play in 3D. This card has 2 digital outputs.

There are higher specs of more memory faster DDR3 etc

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Default.aspx

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Products_Overview.as px?ProductID=2604

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Products_Overview.as px?ProductID=2577

I do go with silent pipe cooling (dislike fans)

BTW They have released a newer chipset 8800.

I prefer Nvidia chipsets as the most compatible with monitors.

These are PCIe cards I use – there are VGA cards which do have the same specs.
M
mesa
Feb 19, 2008
robert_b wrote:

Just make sure you get one that will slide in correctly…I did not realize how many different footprints there were for the card….

Of course you would.

Why how many are there? Two types right! PCIe and AGP, AGP has now finished on new motherboards.

AGP were universal voltage wise, PCIe are the new standard.

Don’t mention older type PC’s as they will not run current programs.

"Mick" wrote in message

Mick.

D
dvus
Feb 19, 2008
Rob. wrote:
robert_b wrote:

Of course you would.

Why how many are there? Two types right! PCIe and AGP, AGP has now finished on new motherboards.

Yes, but there are widely different physical "footprints" for PCIe cards that might impact your decision. Some are longer than others and might prove difficult to install in some chassis and some take up two slot positions to accomodate the cooling scheme on the card.

dvus
M
mesa
Feb 20, 2008
dvus wrote:
Rob. wrote:

robert_b wrote:

Of course you would.

Yes, but there are widely different physical "footprints" for PCIe cards that might impact your decision. Some are longer than others and might prove difficult to install in some chassis and some take up two slot positions to accomodate the cooling scheme on the card.

The physical slot is to PCIe standard.

Its not a gamers card thats needed also if there is not the room in the case its too small for cooling anyway.
D
dvus
Feb 20, 2008
Rob. wrote:
dvus wrote:
Rob. wrote:
robert_b wrote:

Of course you would.

The physical slot is to PCIe standard.

Sure, but that’s not relevant

Its not a gamers card thats needed also if there is not the room in the case its too small for cooling anyway.

No, no one said a gamer’s card is needed, just that the available PCIe cards vary greatly in physical size and that some might not fit well with the OP’s present setup. And, FWIW, smaller cases can be cooled quite effectively.

dvus
M
Mick
Feb 20, 2008
Thanks for your contributions folks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections