GC
Posted By
Gillian Caverly
Sep 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using PE 1 on an iMac running OS X 10.2.6. When I use the help files, it always launches Netscape, which is not a browser I normally use. I would prefer to use Safari or Internet Explorer.

Originally it was using IE but somewhere along the line with upgrades, it has changed.

I know this is not a mega problem and I can live with it but it is a niggle that I would like to sort out.

Thanks in advance, Gillian.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DN
David Neale
Sep 14, 2003
Go to the Help folder in the Adobe PhotoShop Elements folder and there you will see a list of .html files. Highlight one of these and Get Info for it. In the Get Info panel, click on the Open with arrow to expand that section. Select the browser you want to use from the pull-down list and then click on the Change All button. (Safari is excellent!)
GC
Gillian Caverly
Sep 14, 2003
Thanks David but I can’t get that to work. Open with was already reading Safari so I tried changing it to Internet Explorer and even though I clicked Change all, only the one item was modified and Netscape was again launched.

I tried selecting all and also selecting the help folder but both times when I tried get info, the Open with option was not available.

I can’t think of anything else to try,
Gillian.
P
Phosphor
Sep 14, 2003
Gillian, I don’t have Jaguar booted up, but isn’t there a place where you can set your default web browser? On OS 9 it’s in Control Panel>Internet>Web. See if you can find something similar. At various times and on various computers, I’ve had mine set to run on Netscape, IE, and Mozilla, and I’ve made the change from there, not from within Elements.
GC
Gillian Caverly
Sep 14, 2003
Thanks Beth, it’s under System Prefs/Internet/Web and I have had it set to Safari for several months. I’ve never used Netscape except when it pops up in Elements.

Looks as though I might have to put up with it!
P
Phosphor
Sep 14, 2003
That really is strange. At least I hope it’s giving you a decent version of Netscape! 🙂 You know, I really should change mine back to Netscape, because the Help files display better on my computer using it than they do using IE. Thanks for reminding me of that!
P
Phosphor
Sep 15, 2003
Gillian, you might try deleting com.apple.internetconfig.plist from your user>library>preferences folder, but be aware that this file is also where IE stores cookies, as well as where your internet settings are stored. So be sure you have a backup of your settings before trying it. You might try just moving it to the desktop and changing your default browser again before trashing it. If it doesn’t work, then you can put it back and not have to redo everything else, too.

EDIT I don’t think Safari cookies are in that plist, but I don’t use Safari so can’t say for sure.
GC
Gillian Caverly
Sep 15, 2003
Thanks Barbara, I’ve just tried that and still it launches Netscape. I kept the prefs on my desktop as you suggested so I just put it back.

I think it is possibly something Adobe has altered as at one time I did have the prefs set so that Adobe Online would automatically update each time Elements was launched. Perhaps I need to re-install it to solve the problem!
P
Phosphor
Sep 15, 2003
Hmm, that’s weird. Try going back to the prefs folder and deleting com.adobe.photoshop.elements.plist and and adobeonlineprefs and moving the adobe prefs folder onto the desktop.
GC
Gillian Caverly
Sep 15, 2003
Barbara, I’ve just realised we have some confusion here. I am using PE 1 but I did download a version of PE 2 a couple of months ago and the pref files werestill there although I had uninstalled it.

I removed the Adobe Online prefs and Internet prefs from the OS 9 system folder but still no joy.

I have to leave the computer now and will not be back at it till tomorrow.

Sorry I didn’t spot the misunderstanding sooner – it was the PE 2 trial confusing things.
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 15, 2003
Gillian,

Safari came out after we shipped Elements 2.0 and it is not compatible with our help system.

Rich

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections