Posted By
pevi
Apr 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m a Photoshop 8.01 (dutch) user.
When i convert a TIFF file (from the example image map) to an EPS, the file extension stay .TIF, even when i unchech the option in the prefs.
Who got the same problem, or is it a bug in my version.

Peter Visser

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 9, 2004
Hum,

What exactly is the name of the file?

If the name is something like filename.tif_ where "_" is a space then no, PS maynot remove that extension.

Have you tried renaming the file manually?
P
pevi
Apr 9, 2004
I’ve tried differend filenames, it make no sence. (test.tif) By the way, i use a dutch CS version of 8.01

I don’t get the problem with a new tiff file, only with an existing one. (example map)

I’ve install it on an G5 and a Powerbook and get the same problem…
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 9, 2004
Can you explain the exact (step-by-step) process you go through when converting a TIFF to an EPS?
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Apr 10, 2004
The tendency of today’s OS’s is to hide extensions, but they don’t do so very consistently. I suspect that if you set the Finder to show extensions (Finder>Preferences>Always show file extensions), you’ll find that the eps file is actually called test.tif.eps.

I think you’ll also find that if you try to open the file in Photoshop, Photoshop will identify it as an .eps, not as a .tif.
P
pevi
Apr 10, 2004
First switch the preference to, never add file-extention. Open a tiff file from the examplemap in Photoshop: test.tif Save as… on the desktop as EPS or jpg or png, whatever.

The result: he saved a tif like: test.tif
I ask info and it’s a normal tif????
But I wanted a other format!!!
R
Ram
Apr 10, 2004
examplemap

Kan dat misschien de «Samples folder?» zijn?

(Nederlands: map = kartonnen omslag, tekenportefeuile;

Engels: map = landkaart)

Groetjen. 🙂
R
Ram
Apr 10, 2004
Explanation of above post for English speakers:

The word "map" in Dutch means "folder" in English.
T
Todie
Apr 10, 2004
Well,.. the Bulgarian gesture for "yes" means… "no"… : )

Bruce said "show".
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 10, 2004
First switch the preference to, never add file-extention.

NO!

Always save _with_ the extension, it saves soo many problems when going cross platform and its an easy way to difereniate between your wrking fils with layers (presumab;y save as .PSD) an your final files (presumably save as .TIF, .EPS, or .JPG)
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Apr 10, 2004
Rene,

While I agree that it’s always a good idea to save WITH the extension, it’s no longer an even slightly reliable mechanism for differentiating layered and final files. Quite apart from the semi-random tendencies of OS’s to hide or show extensions, .tif files may well be layered—I always save my layered files as zip-compressed TIFF because the compression is so much better than that offered by .psd, and I’m certainly not alone in doing so.

In short, it’s a strategy that’s doomed to fail when you least expect it to.
P
progress
Apr 11, 2004
Always add file extension, even if you dont use it, someone may…its not reliable (like profiles) but its a step in the right direction. You can rely on it as much as anything else, ie nothings perfect

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections