EG
Posted By
Ed_Gerson
Apr 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just batch renamed 90 portrait files, lost every one of them. They were .NEF’s.

Using PS CS Browser, when I click onto an image, the message says: "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"

When I go to the folder now containing what used to be .NEF’s, they are Unix Executable Files. Cannot be opened.

Any suggestions?

Ed

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

LA
Larry_Auerbach
Apr 9, 2004
Are you using Panther (MacOS X 10.3.x)? Do your files still have the file name extension .NEF? Had they by any chance been copied to a Windows server?

I’ve had a situation at work recently where Quark 4 files, Type 1 printer fonts and a couple of other kinds of files residing on a Windows server were showing up in the Panther Finder as Unix Executable files. None of these files had file name extensions or File type or File Creator tags — apparently their resource forks had been stripped away. I was able to get them back to normal by adding file name extensions and rebinding them to their proper applications and formats using the utility XRay. No data was lost. Doing a "Get Info" and choosing "Open With" was not sufficient to get them to function in their proper way. Another file attributes utility (freeware) that can do whay I did in XRay is QuickChange (downloadable at Versiontracker).

There are a few other stray reports of the Unix Executable phenomenon reported in Apple’s Panther User Discussions–I believe this is always Panther, not any previous version of Mac OS X.
EG
Ed_Gerson
Apr 9, 2004
Panther 10.3.2 with Photoshop CS, using .NEF files. Now that I mention that, I think I remember someone saying you shouldn’t try renaming .NEF files, you should convert them first to another file type.

Thanks for your interest, this will get solved.

Ed

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections