Help create an unfilled shape in photoshop 6.0–Specially a circle/ring with an empty, see-through m

GK
Posted By
Genghis_Kim
May 2, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can’t for the life of me figure out how to draw a circle with an empty interior.

All I want to do is draw a circle around a photograph of my face. But as soon as I draw the circle, it is automatically filled with some sort of foreground color whether that be white, black, or torquise, blocking out the picture of my face.

And then when I try to edit the circle fill, it won’t let me.

I hate this. Even Paint let’s you draw an unfilled shape. Why can’t the same be done in photoshop?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
Corey
May 3, 2005
At the top of the Layers Palette, in your circle layer, set Fill to 0% and then add a stroke layer style by double-clicking on the circle layer and checking "Stroke." Select color to suit your taste!

You didn’t specify if you are using a Vector Shape circle made with the Ellipse tool or a bitmap circle made with the Elliptical Marquee Tool, yet this should work with either.

Peadge 😉

wrote in message
I can’t for the life of me figure out how to draw a circle with an empty
interior.
All I want to do is draw a circle around a photograph of my face. But as
soon as I draw the circle, it is automatically filled with some sort of foreground color whether that be white, black, or torquise, blocking out the picture of my face.
And then when I try to edit the circle fill, it won’t let me.
I hate this. Even Paint let’s you draw an unfilled shape. Why can’t the
same be done in photoshop?
PH
Photo_Help
May 3, 2005
Here are a couple ways…

Using the elliptical marquee tool draw your circle (hold down shift to get an exact circle). Go to Edit -> Stroke.

Or

Using the Ellipse Tool draw a circle. Go to Layer -> Layer Style -> Stroke. While in the layer style dialog go to the "Blending Options" and set the "Fill Opacity" to zero.
JR
John_R_Nielsen
May 3, 2005
And you can save that style and apply it to any layer in the future.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections