WS
Posted By
William_Spangler
May 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I think I’m loosing my mind. I’m opening NEF files in Photoshop CS, editing them and saving them as PSDs or JPGs. I often save first as PSD, then convert to JPG. Up until 2 days ago, I did not worry about converting the images from 16-bit color to 8-bit color. Now, the save as JPG option is not available. DON’T YELL AT ME YET! I know you cannot save a 16-bit file as JPG. I checked files I converted last week….the NEFs were 16-bit and the resulting JPGs were 8-bit. My issue is, last week, I swear, I didn’t convert from 16 to 8. It somehow, was happening behind the scenes(magic?). This week, I have to manually change from 16 to 8 and I don’t understand what could be different.
Additional info. The only thing that has happened, is that I installed TRIAL Nikon Capture 4.2 over an existing TRIAL Nikon Capture 4.1. I’ve since, uninstalled Capture, I’ve uninstalled PhotoshopCS and reinstalled. I also have Nikon Picture Project 1.1 on my XP machine.
Any ideas what has caused the difference??
Thanks,
Bill

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RG
Rags Gardner
May 4, 2005
William,

Its been working this way as long as I can remember. If you use Image Ready (save for web) to save the JPGs it’s all taken care of.

If you just “Save As” you need flattened, 8-bit, no paths or alpha channels, etc. Since you should also convert to sRGB, I use an action.

There is no relationship to NC or any other packages I can think of.

Cheers, Rags 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections