SP
Posted By
steve_peters
Apr 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a dual G5 2ghz. Right now I have Photoshop CS installed on the same drive as my OSX. I have two external scsi RAID 0’s, and a fire wire drive for backup. I am using one for scratch and the other to store working files ( I know that RAID O are not the safest, and that is why I back up frequently). I have read in the past that you should have Photoshop installed on a different drive than your scratch. Would it make any improvement to stick Photoshop on my RAID that I use to store my files on? I have read that, with large files ~1gig, that actually saving your files to the same disc as your scratch disk (when using a RAID) would give you the fastest saves. Any thoughts? Also, if I do end up moving Photoshop, can I just drag it to it’s new location or use carbon copy cloner, or should I just re install?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 17, 2004
My inclination is to keep Photoshop on the start-up HD but to install a second internal SATA HD in your G5 and use that drive for Photoshop’s scratch disk.

Then use your existing externals to store back-ups.

That is how I have set-up my system and it works extremely well.
B
Buko
Apr 17, 2004
system drive

scratch or the other drive
B
Buko
Apr 17, 2004
that should be "scratch on the other drive"
SP
steve_peters
Apr 18, 2004
So you do not think that Photoshop runs any better by being on a faster hard drive? I know that it is important to have the fastest drive possable for scratch, which I do. I have a 6 drive RAID for that.
B
Buko
Apr 18, 2004
Photoshop runs in RAM and the scratch disk not on the drive its installed on.
NP
Navarro_Parker
Apr 19, 2004
ALWAYS install applications in your startup drive’s Applications folder. Don’t move them around or put them in subfolders. It’s a Mac OS X thing. Just leave it where its supposed to be. You risk fowling up future updates.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 19, 2004
<< You risk fowling up future updates. >>

Yep –those chickens will definitely come home to roost!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections