KH
Posted By
KL_Hirsch
Oct 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I print photos from PE2 to my HP7150, the color changes abruptly on the right 20% of the photo. This happens in both portrait and landscape mode.
See a sample of this at
< http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?UV=218436558042_421742 380103&US=0&collid=496742380103>

What’s going on?
Is there a fix?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ray
Oct 2, 2003
For my HP 940Cvr, it’s usually a sign of that I need to change the color cartridge. Have you tried to clean the heads? Does this happen only in PSE2? Have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers?

Ray
PL
Paul_L_UK
Oct 2, 2003
If the right hand side of the picture is the furthest away from where the print head rests, it could also point to a problem with the mechanism or print head.

I prefer Ray’s explanation though, could be cheaper.

Paul
KH
KL_Hirsch
Oct 2, 2003
The right side is the side away from where the printhead rests in portrait mode, but the problem appears on the right side (trailing edge) in landscape mode as well. See the sample pictures.

Put another way, in one mode the defect appears down the page, in the other mode it appears accross the page. How does the defective printhead know which way to fail on which picture????
PL
Paul_L_UK
Oct 2, 2003
Sorry, me being dumb.

Another shot in the dark-
If it is trailing edge, could possibly be when the paper hits the collection tray, the edge of the paper is closer/further away from printhead due to bending of the paper. Could try printing a picture on half a sheet to prove it.

Paul
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 2, 2003
Has this always happened, or is it something new that’s just started recently?
JH
Jim_Hess
Oct 2, 2003
IMHO, this has to be a problem that is unique to your printer. Either something has gone wrong with your printer, or else you have a bad print cartridge. I use a 7150 and haven’t encountered a problem like you have described. My recommendation would be for you to install new cartridges and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn’t, then in all probability your printer is in need of service. And judging from the price of printers these days, it would probably be just as cost effective to purchase a new printer unless yours is still under warranty.
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 2, 2003
KL,

Do you mean to say that the lightened part of your images are always toward the edge of the page which is the last to come out of the printer?

Or do you mean that it is always the righthand side of the image which is lightened, regardless of whether the image is oriented portrait or landscape on the page?

Does the image have the same defect if it does not fill the page? For instance, what if you were to place two images on the same page, one above the other… are both images banded in the same way, or do they differ?

What does the image look like in Print Preview?

These are just some thoughts that came to mind as I pondered a way of trying to isolate the trouble… not necessarily because they’ll provide a definitive answer… 😉

Curious.

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 2, 2003
Before you toss all of those cartridges, my suggestion would be doing a search to see if there are updated drivers for your printer. When I have a true print cartridge problem on my HP, the symptoms are different. Usually it’s just one color that’s bad/gone, and and the whole tone of the print changes; you’re just getting a very lightened effect.

You might also try trashing the Elements Preference folder. I can’t think of why it would cause a printing problem, but it’s worth a try in case some bad image info is being sent to the printer. Highly unlikely, but that suggestion is cheaper than a new cartridge, too!
KH
KL_Hirsch
Oct 2, 2003
Byron, It’s always the right side of the image. If I print two images on a sheet, it’s the right side of the right image. I get the same problem printing black and white — the right fraction goes to blue and white.

Beth, What happens if I trash the preference folder? Does PE2 create a new one based on defaults?
PD
Pete_D
Oct 2, 2003
In case Beth stepped away for a while…..Yes It will rebuild preference folder.

Byron, It’s always the right side of the image. If I print two images on a
sheet, it’s the right side of the right image. I get the same problem printing black and white — the right fraction goes to blue and white.
Beth, What happens if I trash the preference folder? Does PE2 create a new
one based on defaults?
EM
Eric_Matthes
Oct 3, 2003
This reminds me of a problem I read about on the Photoshop forum. Someone was trying to make a large print, and all of the information was not reaching the printer, so it would just quit after a certain portion of the print had been completed. It turned out replacing one of the cable hubs solved the problem.
I’m curious to hear if the preferences folder solves it. If not, are there other things that would keep the full file from being sent to the printer? Also, have you printed successfully with this printer before, or is it a new setup? How large are the prints you are making?
GS
Glenn_Schreyer
Oct 7, 2003
I am late to this discussion, but I have recently purchased an HP Deskjet 3820, had problems printing, downloaded a new printer driver, which fixed the original problems. I have an iMac with the original Photoshop Elements. If I print a single image on the page, it prints fine, but if I try to use the Photo package to print 4 on a page, I get this kind of problem. The four pictures print, and the right 20% looks fine, but the left 80% looks reddish as if one of the colors is missing. There is a distinct demarcation between the two. I suspect no problem with the printer, because I can also print from Arcsoft Photostudio without problems.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections