WM
Posted By
Wayne_Michael
Apr 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In Photoshop 7.0 in OS 10.2, I am working with color TIFF images that have a solid color background specified with a CMYK value. I did this work on my CRT eMac, which is now in the shop for monitor repair. In the meantime am using my wife’s G4 PowerBook. When I open the images, they not only look different–which wouldn’t surprise me–but the CMYK value is different–which alarms me. I’m 99% sure I specified a CMYK value on my eMac different from what reads in the Color Picker on her PB. On my eMac, it’s C10 M15 Y35 K0. On the PB, it’s C0 M5 Y10 K3. Is this normal to expect? Is there something in the color calibration difference between the two computers that could cause this (when I launched PS 7.0 on her computer, it showed a dialog box indicating something about color calibration that I ignored)?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Apr 22, 2004
Check what your CMYK settings are on both computers. They must be the same. And you should never ignore any dialog boxes when first opening PS. A conversion of your color data might have occurred and is probably the answer to your issue.
WM
Wayne_Michael
Apr 24, 2004
This problem is resolved. I received my repaired computer today and in fact, had specified the same CMYK settings that the substitute PowerBook was showing (Tim of course is correct in that regard). My art director threw me for a loop when she changed the color specs without notifying me, and I didn’t have my regular computer at hand to compare colors. At least it wasn’t a scary (and imaginary as it turns out) case of one computer converting color values from another!
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Apr 24, 2004
I’ve chased many a ghost in the machine myself on my system and as usual it most often turns out to be something very simple.

I can relate. Glad I could help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections