HELP! I keep getting an error that my file isn’t Compatible with Photoshop!!!

JW
Posted By
josh_withers
Apr 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Right after i saved it from Photoshop CS, and closed it. Now when i try to open the file it tells me that "could not complete your request because file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop."

HELP!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

Of course i REALLY need this file!!!!

have tried putting it on different drives, different computers, quitting and re-launching Photoshop….

HELP!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Apr 22, 2004
Josh,

The file may have become corrupted when you first saved it. Are you by any chance opening files from or saving them to a network or removable media? If you are, don’t.

Click on the following link:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/19dd2.htm?code=TA>
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 22, 2004
Here is an old trick that may still work.

If you also have AI or AI CS launch it and create a new empty document. Then place the photoshop file into the AI document do not choose to flatten the image if you need the layers then export the file as a Photoshop file. and you should then be good to go.

It sometimes works and sometimes does not.
JW
josh_withers
Apr 22, 2004
I just re-created the file (really sloppy because of timing).

I tried the illustrator trick but the file is too big for AI.

I am having drive errors (is is an external Kano Raid 5 fire wire 800) on occasion but they give me a different error message then the "version error" i recently got.

Any way to get that original file back would be good… but it looks like i am re-doing everything….
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 22, 2004
Josh do yourself a favor save it as a layered tiff next time you save to the Raid.

I get errors if I save .psd file to my external drives and later try to open them if they are larger than 24 MB. If You need it to be .psd well save it to the local internal drive and then burn it to a CD.

Now it may only be my set up and it may only be one file on your computer this will ever happen to but if it keeps happening keep in mind that you might be more successful with tiff.
JW
josh_withers
Apr 22, 2004
The problem is that a layered tiff is pretty big compared to a psd. I work on files around 250MB when flattened. With layers, sometimes i am up between 2 and 3 gigs.

I shouldn’t have to worry about not saving in the application’s native format… but now i do….

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections