Can Mac Photoshop 7 save file as a Mac Photoshop 6 file?

RS
Posted By
Rich_Schoen
Apr 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I do not have access to Photoshop 7. Does anyone know off the top of their head if Photoshop 7 native file can be read by Photoshop 6? Or, is there a Photoshop 6 "Save As File Type" in Photoshop 7? Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Apr 23, 2004
Yes. but if there are any PS7 features they will not be available in 6

PS7 file needs to be save with maximum compatability
RS
Rich_Schoen
Apr 23, 2004
So you are saying there is no "Save as 6.0 file" in 7.0….just perform a default save in 7.0 and the format is the same as 6.0? Yes I realize that commands I may have used in 7.0 I do not have in 6.0…but if the format is the same, the images and layout should be identical.
R
Ram
Apr 23, 2004
Rich,

That’s right, Photoshop PSD files are backwards compatible all the way back to version 3.0. The only thing you won’t have is any later features not included in the version you are using to open the file, for instance Layers if you open a file with layers in a version prior to when Layers were first introduced.

A minor exception to the above is that a bug in Photoshop 6 prevents some files created in Photoshop8 (CS) from opening in Photoshop6.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections