RP
Posted By
Russell_Proulx
May 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is it possible to perform a ‘search and replace’ on image Metadata? I see that Bridge offers a ‘search’ feature. But is there a way to batch alter the searched Metadata?

I’d like to seach image description tags for words like "inch" and change them to "pouce" or "in. " with "po. " (French abbreviation).

Might be a useful feature if Photoshop or Bridge are currently unable to do this.

Russell

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

C
chrisjbirchall
May 12, 2005
Firstly you’re in the wrong forum.

But whilst you’re here – yes you can. Just select all the files you want to change; Any alterations you make to the metadata will be applied to all the files.

Chris.
RP
Russell_Proulx
May 12, 2005
Any alterations you make to the metadata will be applied to all the files.

Chris,

I’m pretty sure that Bridge cannot do what I need which is why I posted the question here. I’m hoping that some other PS user has been faced with a similar chore and found a way to do it – either using PS or via a 3d party app.

Yes, Bridge can batch replace all metadata of one type with new data. But afaik it cannot selectively replace one word in a description and leave the rest of the words in the description intact:

ie:

replace

12 x 15" gelatin silver print

with

12 x 15 po. épreuve à la gélatine argentique

where ( po. ) replaces (" )
and (épreuve à la gélatine argentique) replaces (gelatin silver print)

while leaving (12 x 15) intact.

Since one can add and modify Metadata info using PS I think it’s a fair question to ask in a Photoshop forum.

Russell
MM
Mick_Murphy
May 12, 2005
If you are talking about replacing words in the File Info Description field or other File Info fields, then this could be done with PS scripting.
C
chrisjbirchall
May 12, 2005
Since one can add and modify Metadata info using PS I think it’s a fair question to ask in a Photoshop forum.

Russell. what I meant by my opening remark was that as Metadata is altered in Bridge not Photoshop, your question might get a better hearing in the Adobe Bridge Forum.

As for search & replace: I agree. That would be a very handy feature.

I think this could possibly be accomplished by scripting. But that’s yet another different forum! (I’m not really trying to get rid of you – Honest! <grin>)

Chris.
RP
Russell_Proulx
May 12, 2005
(I’m not really trying to get rid of you – Honest! <grin>

That’s the big problem with the web. We can never ‘see’ the person behind the words. It’s off to ‘Photoshop Scripting School’ for me 🙂

Thank you Mick for the road sign.

Though… I did kind o’ hope someone would steer me to some $15 shareware utility that was already built and flying <nudge nudge wink wink>

As for search & replace: I agree. That would be a very handy feature.

I figure some enterprising soul might look forward to at least one year of sales before Adobe incorporates this into the next release..

Seriously though, I manage a number of websites for fine artists and the workflow advantages of custom image metadata + Bridge + PS’s Web Photo Gallery + Dreamweaver is a quick and easy time saver.

Russell 🙂
MM
Mick_Murphy
May 13, 2005
Russell
It would be simple to write a Photoshop script (I’ve not had time to even look at Bridge scripting yet) to replace a string in a particular File Info field with another string. It would be somewhat more time consuming to create a robust app with a proper UI which would allow the user to replace strings in any File Info field. I might try this for fun but I don’t know if I will have time. I doubt that there would be any great demand for a utility like this.

There may well be something like this already out there of course – there are all sorts of utilities for managing image metadata. I don’t know.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections