Posted By
stols_sander
May 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,
I have used the J2K plug-in (by fnord <www.fnordware.com> v1.1 13 Jan 2003) for over a year now. Only a few days ago I discovered that CS2 (and perhaps earlier versions also) has it’s own plug-in (JPF files). They have a lot in common but there are differences also. Exactly which: I don’t know.

For archival purposes I routinely compress very large TIF files with the fnord plug-in into J2K files with sizes about 45 MB (yes!). To my confusion the PS plug-in cannot read them: "you need more RAM" is the message. Largest J2K file that is read successfully is about 17 MB. I have WinXP pro with 1 GB RAM.

On the other hand JPF’s of 45 MB can be made and read without problems.

My 4 questions are:
Will more RAM really help reading the large J2K files?
Or shall I switch completely to the PS plug-in and stop using fnord? If I switch, what should I do with the 1000-odd 45 MB J2K files I have backed-up on DVD? And finally: is the PS plug-in better, as good as, or worse than the fnord plug-in?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 13, 2005
Why don’t you try using the CS2 plugin and find out?
SS
stols_sander
May 13, 2005
Didn’t I say that I tried the CS2 plug-in? Where I wrote PS I meant CS2. I did: that’s where my questions come from.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections