Z
Posted By
Zixca
Oct 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know there must be some instructions somewhere but I sure can’t find them. I am trying to create a desktop transparent icon for WinXP. My thanks for any help.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

ML
Marilyn_Lee
Oct 13, 2003
Zixca – I entered "transparent Desktop icon Windows XP" into Google and it came up with the following site that addressed this topic (see below). If this isn’t of any help, you might look at some of the other sites that Google suggests for this topic.

<http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/troub-04.html>
PA
Patti_Anderson
Oct 13, 2003
Zixca, I don’t think you can create a desktop icon itself in Elements, although you could use it as a stepping stone to that end by zooming in on a picture so you can see the pixels, even lowering the resolution to reduce them if needed.

I have a freebie program called IconEdit32 and the drawing board looks much like a cross stitch pattern. You color in your icon design pixel by pixel, or color larger areas with a fill tool. As I color in the design, off to the side is an actual size icon that shows you what it looks like as you work. Any areas not colored will be transparent. The largest canvas is 48 x 48 and the smallest is 16 x 16. You can use up to 255 colors.

My suggestion would be to do a search in Google for IconEdit32 or "icon software". It used to be we could create icons in Winodws Paint, which is still included with XP. You might want to check it out first.

Patti
DS
Darby_Stone
Oct 13, 2003
Hi Zixca,

There are some wonderful icons at a site(I am not affiliated in any way to either site) called xicons (can we post www’s here?) and they have tutorials for how to make icons for both mac and win. There is also iconfactory which has tons of info. You most likely will need icon specific software to create your icons. But it’s so much fun when you do!

Hope this helps,
Darby
Z
Zixca
Oct 14, 2003
My thanks to all. I will be busy the next couple of days checking out all your suggestions.
MM
Michael Moody
Oct 14, 2003
I found most of the icons for my desktop through Google; i.e. I asked Google to search for Lightning.ico and copied the file to my desktop. Then I stored it in \system32. Then I opened the Properties for the original icon, clicked on Change Icon and browsed to my lightning.ico and hit Enter. I even have a Google icon for Google.

wrote in message
I know there must be some instructions somewhere but I sure can’t find
them. I am trying to create a desktop transparent icon for WinXP. My thanks for any help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections