Can you turn off layers in Photoshop CS?

G
Posted By
graball
Apr 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
To give you the context, I do a lot of simple image editing and modification and need to work very quickly, essentially in a ‘quick and dirty’ mode. Until I upgraded to OSX
Panther recently my preferred version of Photoshop was my old copy of
3.05. I owned newer versions, but used 3.05 because it was the most
practical for the kind of work I do. I had to stop using 3.05 and upgrade to CS/8.0 because my cursor would no longer work in 3.05 under Panther. Here’s the problem. I’ve been working on a simple graphic now for 3 days which would have taken me about 3 minutes using 3.05 because of a myriad of problems.

First and foremost, I just cannot work with layers. The complexity which they add is completely impractical for the kind of work I do. I need a PAINT program, not some sort of super-fancy graphics manipulation program. I need to be able to select part of an image, manipulate it on the spot, duplicate it, flip it, distort it and then reapply it to the original image without creating a billion layers in the process. CS just won’t let me do this. There seems to be no way to stay in a single layer all the time, plus there’s no way to flip or rotate a selection without rotating the entire layer. I have to constantly flatten layers, take selections out and put them in new windows to manipulate them and then import them back into the original document. It takes forever and has turned simple image editing into a total nightmare. Is there a way to turn layers off in CS the way that there was back in good old 3.05? Is there a way to rotate or flip selections in a layer without flipping the entire canvas? The ideal solution would be to just be able to turn layers off and work entirely in the background. Can that be done?

Dave

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections