Posted By
Karo_Karo
May 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I would like to use a batch action to process a whole folder of jpeg files and make them smaller by using the save for web command. The idea is that have a folder that is identical to the one before but smaller in size. But whatever setting I choose in the batch window, if I record the save as command in the action or not, I always get one of two errors. Either, annoyingly the catch stops after each photo to ask me what quality of jpeg I want to save it as, or, when using "save for web" which I prefer because it makes smaller files, it tells me that a file with that name already exists. Of course it exists, that’s the file I want to replace with the downsized one. Saving the files with a different name and then manually removing the original files is not an option. I didn’t spend $600 on a program that I have to manually remove files. It is amazing to me that a program so sophisticated is so hard to use for such a simple task. Anyway, your suggestions are very much appreciated.
Ken

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
May 3, 2004
Never write over your original files. what if at some point you need that full rez image. save to a new folder.

That $600 software is saving you from doing something stupid.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 3, 2004
Sometimes you DO want to overwrite files for whatever reason. Not necessarily an original; maybe the original is on a disk or somewhere else.

Why not save them to a different folder and then when you are done either drag them to the target folder replacing all or rename the folders as needed.
J
jonf
May 3, 2004
But isn’t there something wrong, here? I’ve used Actions to re-size and re-save documents for a long time and I never noticed the problems he describes. In fact, I’ve accidentally lost files as Buko describes because I assigned a keystroke to the Action, and used the wrong keystroke on an image I was working on (no disasters since copies were backed up elsewhere). Unless something changed in CS, shouldn’t he be able to do what he’s describing with an Action?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections