TP
Posted By
Tom_Paton
May 16, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On Friday 13th Photoshop was working perfectly. I have come to work on Monday and got this error message ‘Could not initialize Photoshop because there is not enough memory (RAM)’ To my knowledge NOTHING has changed over the weekend and no-one interfered with the computer.

It starts to go into the program and i get the grey screen background and the menu bar then up pops the message. I can only click on OK and it closes down again.

I have read all the solutions i can find and none of them have worked so far, any more suggestions other than reloading the whole program ? and should i save all my preference files before doing so.

This program is 80% of my workload and if i can’t get this to work the company basically grinds to a halt.

Tom Paton (Australia)
Email:

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
LenHewitt
May 16, 2005
Have you tried deleting your prefs file as per the Forum FAQs?
TP
Tom_Paton
May 17, 2005
I renamed the prefs file as per Adobe suggestion so that i did not lose the original preferences set. When this was done i tried to start PS again as they said it would create a prefs file, but this did not make any difference either, still got the RAM error. I can run stacks of programs without RAM error but as soon as i start PS it pops up, so i figure it is solely a PS error. I am running Windows XP Prof and I have 512Mb RAM.
BH
Bobby_Henderson
May 17, 2005
I would try uninstalling and then reinstalling Photoshop 6.0 and then the 6.0.1 patch.

I’ve never needed to do this with Photoshop, but it has cured some glitches I’ve encountered with some other graphics programs. Any number of other programs could have changed something in the registry or elsewhere to interfere with Photoshop’s operation. Hopefully the problem doesn’t point to bad hard disc clusters or a bad memory module.
DM
dave_milbut
May 17, 2005
make sure your scratch drive isn’t full (or nearly so).
L
LenHewitt
May 17, 2005
Tom,

Not enough RAM can also mean not enough disk space – do you have plenty of free space available, particularly on the drive nominated as Primary Scratch?
TP
Tom_Paton
May 17, 2005
Thanks for all your input guys, i did check the disk space (gigabytes free on C and D) and the virtual memory was heaps also.
Ended up totally uninstalling the whole program and re-installing it from my original version of 4.0 and upgrades etc. This fixed the problem. Even though i saved my preference file in another directory and copied them back after installing, i still seem to be missing some but i can live with that.

Now I’m just having a look through all the messages on the forum, wished i found it earlier, there are some great topics.

I joined NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) a few years ago and this is good too.

<http://photoshopuser.com>

Thanks again.
Tom

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections