Photoshop to Illustrator – Is vector possible?

MK
Posted By
Mike_Kukucka
May 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there anyway to build a logo in Photoshop and then, through some wonderful magic trick, get it to open in Illustrator as a true vector file?

Or is the only way to build tons of paths and "export paths to illustrator"?

The reason I ask is I have some people sending me logos as layered photoshop files when I clearly need (& asked for) vector files.

Thanks in advance.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 4, 2004
PDF
MK
Mike_Kukucka
May 4, 2004
PDF? How does that work? If I save a Photoshop PDF and open it in Illustrator I just get a single image. Like placing an image.
P
Phosphor
May 4, 2004
Getting up and running with the Pen (vector) Tool in Photoshop:

< http://www.gurusnetwork.com/tutorials/photoshop/pen1intro.ht ml>
MK
Mike_Kukucka
May 4, 2004
Can the vector shapes drawn with the pen be opened in Illustrator or would that take me back to the "export paths…" function?
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 4, 2004
Use the vectorization action from the repository… <http://tinyurl.com/2gd6g>

Or a fully fledged vectorization program, like Streamline, Corel Trace, Xara (I’ve heard it can be very powerful)
P
Phosphor
May 4, 2004
Once you have created the vectors in Photoshop, you can copy/paste or drag them into Illustrator. But they will come into Illustrator as raw, unfilled/unstroked paths.

But, if you have Illustrator, you will have a better selection of vector tools and more controls over them. It would then behoove you to open your Photoshop logo in Illustrator and use it as a template to create the vectors on separate layer(s).

Use the best tool for the job. That would be Illustrator.
MK
Mike_Kukucka
May 4, 2004
This is all pretty much what I knew. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. The trouble is that I’m not the creator but the recipient of the files so I was hoping for something easier on my end. Oh well…recreate them is the basic message.

Thank everyone.
J
jonf
May 4, 2004
Phosphor: his problem is client supplied files that were not created using the best tool. He’s trying to find a way to take their PS files and convert them to Illustrator documents without going through the trouble of re-creating everything by exporting raw paths and applying styles from scratch in AI.
P
Phosphor
May 4, 2004
Yes, Jon…I’m actually a pretty good reader.

I took what Mike said into consideration.

If he wants a good vector logo, and he has to do it from a raster image file, the best way to go is to use it as a tracing template in Illustrator.

And, as much as I appreciate the action Pierre linked to, it is not meant to be a substitute for accurate, manual vector creation and manipulation.

I’ve yet to see any AutoTrace procedure that passes muster when accuracy is paramount.
J
jonf
May 4, 2004
I absolutely agree. It just sounded a little like a reprimand to Mike which he didn’t seem to deserve. Sometimes in the course of following a thread it starts to get confusing what comments are responding to which posts. Sorry.
PC
Philo_Calhoun
May 5, 2004
Pdf won’t help, because although pdf’s can contain both vector and bitmaps, unless you recreate vectors in PS, you will have a bitmap pdf. Autotrace in Illustrator is garbage, so don’t even go there. Streamline/Freehand trace, Corel OCR-trace all work fairly well for simple coloured or greyscale block shaded images, but won’t render anything that has continuous tone or gradients well. The best solution would be to retrace them in Illustrator, but that takes time. Some people make their selections in PS and convert the selections to paths and export these, but like the automated programs for bitmap to vector, the paths are imprecise and have too many nodes/anchor points.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
May 5, 2004
The problem I’ve encountered replicating a bitmap into vector is you never know which is more efficient-tracing the entire image in a vector program or configuring conversion parameters and afterward editing anchor points and closed/open paths in a dedicated tracing program.

I had to digitize an intricate comic book style lineart sports team logo for six spot color seps for screenprinting and I couldn’t figure which would be quicker. I ended up spending as much time deciding as actually performing the work.

I had to keep telling myself…"must resist urge to reach for amberlith, Xacto knife and graphics camera darkroom equipment!" =:o
J
jonf
May 5, 2004
I miss Amberlith. Using the pen tool just doesn’t give you that same satisfying tactile experience.
P
Phosphor
May 5, 2004
"Using the pen tool just doesn’t give you that same satisfying tactile experience."

Try oil painting. Tactile feedback AND you get to make a bit of a mess. FUN!
Z
Zeb
May 5, 2004
If you try an auto tracing program, run posterize on the art first, so it cuts down the number of points and paths generated.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 5, 2004
Of course, Phoz, the action was not meant here as a substitute for hand drawing with the pen tool, but it could help you doing the first tracing, you’ll then need to refine it.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 5, 2004
My experience with Bezier paths is that they are remarkably quick to create from scratch — while paths made via any sort of Selection/Conversion are incredibly time-consuming (and tiresome!) to repair.

Each to his own poison.
P
Phosphor
May 5, 2004
…"while paths made via any sort of Selection/Conversion are incredibly time-consuming (and tiresome!) to repair."

A’yup.

And yes, Pierre, I realize the value of your action, and there are certainly times when it will come in handy for quickly getting a vectorized "look." I need to experiment with it more, though. Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections