multiple undos – using command+Z please bring back!!

W
Posted By
wOOge
May 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
please… does anyone know how i can get this back – ever since i "upgraded" to CS this is one feature that i can’t stand having lost: cmd+Z’ng over and over only undoes and redoes endlessly… i need cmd+Z to undo and undo and undo…

….and, no.. i hate the history pallet… i hate it more now… and command+option+Z doesn’t do it for me.

undo = command+z
redo should = command+shift+z

please does anyone know how i can get this back/where to find the option, checkbox, pulldown, or modified config file to change this setting back????
tia.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JS
Jeff_Schewe
May 6, 2004
You need to look under Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts. You can make any keyboard shortcut anything you want.
W
wOOge
May 6, 2004
was hoping not to have to re-assign the standard key-combos – but it looks like that’s all i’ve got.

thanks for the fast reply jeff!!
P
Phosphor
May 6, 2004
Why is it that those who rant the loudest are the ones who demonstrate through their posts that they are the most likely to have not taken the time to look at the online help or read through the disk-supplied PDFs?

This is basic knowledge, w00ge. Help yourself a little more by putting forth some effort to solve a simple stumbling block like this one, and you’ll garner a whole lot more respect, empathy and quality assistance when you have a tough question that isn’t easily or readily addressed by the help files.

signed,
—Exasperado (with a tip-o-the-tam to the Divine Ms. Myrgyryt!)
W
wOOge
May 6, 2004
after traversing the online help, FAQ’s, and the register-form-ridden adobe.com – i had exhausted all other avenues.

already possessed the basic knowledge of being able to edit key shortcut settings, but felt that this was a silly method of trying to get a standard feature back from the dead.

worded my post in such a way that would stand out, and be clear that i wanted to bring back the old functionality, instead of having to use the history pallet.

agree that this was not the most "polite" post i’ve ever made, and i’ll try to temper myself next time adobe takes away normal functions without offering a clearer way of bringing them back.

cheers!
CC
Chris_Cox
May 6, 2004
Which proves that you have not read the manual or online help.

Try again.
P
Phosphor
May 6, 2004
Nor even explored the Preferences options.

I’m outta this thread.
W
wOOge
May 6, 2004
Phosphor: ok .. I’m open to criticism, so if you or anyone else have the answer to my question, please… prove me wrong… if the answer was in the docs – and i some how missed it, by all means… share with the world!

There are others on this board even, that still don’t know the answer to this very mystery, and this thread will help them as well.

Chris: i do admit i have a limited amount of time to read through entire manuals looking for one line saying "sorry – we removed that feature, deal with it", so in that respect, your right, i didn’t read *all* of the documentation.

You have to admit, it is a very strange to change Photoshop’s undo, this late in the game plus and every other adobe app still have normal multiple undo… why mess with a good thing? if it ain’t broke…
CC
Chris_Cox
May 6, 2004
There hasn’t been a change — the functionality is still there, staring you in the face. It’s in the manual, in the online help, and in the preferences where we told you to look.
P
Phosphor
May 6, 2004
How difficult is it to find this? Once mouse click-and drag in a main menu column. If you’ve failed to explore and discover this, you don’t necessarily have issues with lacking knowledge, you have issues with your dearth of curiosity.

And for that I don’t feel educationally superior to anyone; rather, I pity your lack of propensity for exploration.

OK…NOW I’m outta here. My job—above and beyond the call of duty—is done here.
W
wOOge
May 6, 2004
Ok Chris:

– Online help: file:///Applications/Adobe%20Photoshop%20CS/Help/1_4_10_0.ht ml No mention of using the undo command over and over for multiple undos.

– Online help: file:///Applications/Adobe%20Photoshop%20CS/Help/help.html?c ontent=1_4_11_0.html No mention of multiple undos…

– Adobe.com – search yeilds 26 results – only a few are photoshop related, and non mention enabling the multiple undo feature…

– the printed 92 page manual that came with CS suite – is a joke

– PDF documentation: nothing… in fact a near copy of the online html docs – but on page 662 there is reference to the fact that you can redo with cmd+z as well… oh wow!… how nice!…../sarcasm

– Preferences: you’ll have to take my word for it that i went through every panel.

any other place you suggest i check chris?
W
wOOge
May 6, 2004
I have Photoshop CS – and this is our "General" Preference pane – just as an example:
P
Phosphor
May 6, 2004
OK…BFD…it got moved.

Spend 5 minutes and find it.
R
Ram
May 6, 2004
wOOge,

Option + Command + Z

You could have found it under the Edit menu > Keyboard Shortcuts > Set Shortcuts for: Application Menus > Application menu.

It is in the Help file, just do a search on Undo Command.

Easiest of all, just pull down the freaking Edit menu: there it is, staring you in the face: “Step Backward : Option + Command + Z".
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 6, 2004
RTF-PDF-M.
W
wOOge
May 6, 2004
I appreciate your help Phosphor, but maybe someone with a more current version of photoshop can provide some extra help on this issue…
G
graffiti
May 6, 2004
Spend 5 minutes and find it.

That’s only a quarter of the time it took wOOge to complain ain’t it?
R
Ram
May 6, 2004
wOOge,

Post # 13.
W
wOOge
May 6, 2004
wow, this forum is much more active than i figured…

Regarding post #13 – my point is i know about this option. i want to find a way of resurrecting the old way of just using Cmd+Z multiple times.

oh well – maybe in the next version of photoshop.
Cheers guys… thanks for the discussion!
J
jonf
May 6, 2004
I hate to get involved, but W00ge’s original post says that he knowsoption-command-z = undo. He wants it to go back to command-z for undo and shift-command-z for re-do.
R
Ram
May 6, 2004
Yes, but it can be reassigned to whatever he wants. RTFM!
R
Ram
May 6, 2004
It was in post # 13:

… Edit menu > Keyboard Shortcuts > Set Shortcuts for: Application Menus > Application menu.

redefine the command right there! RTFM.
J
jonf
May 6, 2004
Post #1 and #4 covered that. Tempers are just flaring now
R
Ram
May 6, 2004
Because wOOge is not making any sense at all!

He wants "the old functionality back" but won’t take one minute to get what he wants.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 6, 2004
ws;EKGHKGHSF
DAGKJHSFG
SFGKJSFHG
KSFG
SFKGS
FKGHJF
GHJ
GKSF
GKJFAG

GOT IT?
W
wOOge
May 6, 2004
just to end this – i have used everyone’s suggested methods to redefine the undo and step back commands, to emulate the "old functionality" of the undo command.

….again thanks for everyone’s help.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 6, 2004
I did notice that wOOge has set his Prefs. to save 200 History steps and just wonder why he doesn’t use the History Palette to "undo" by taking giant strides backwards in a single leap at a time?
R
Ram
May 6, 2004
Ann,

I noticed that and wondered why anyone who “hates” the History Palette, as he says he does, would set it to 200. It boggles the mind.
JS
john.stevens
May 7, 2004
Here’s how I did it:

Go to Edit menu > Keyboard Shortcuts

Go to Edit and delete the key(s) for undo/redo

Now change Step Backward to Cmd + Z, and step Forward to Shift + Cmd + Z

I hope this helps someone. It’s not obvious to everyone. Sorry some people can’t participate in a forum without turning it into a bitch session.
RW
Rene_Walling
May 7, 2004
NK
Neil_Keller
May 8, 2004
Wow!

It certainly took me far less time to do a quick search in the CS help than to wade through all of this. I hope that wOOge truly appreciates everyone’s efforts!

As for me, I second Ann’s comment — the History Palette is the most efficient way to go on this. A single mouse-click.

But the choice is wOOge’s!

Neil

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections