JF
Posted By
Jeff_F_N
May 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I created a PSD in CS and when the printers open it with 7 to make adjustments the layers are not there. Is there any special way I need to save it to make it show up in 7 with layers?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
May 10, 2004
just worked for me.

are you sure you didn’t flatten your image??

Is it PSB??

is it bigger than 2 gig??
JF
Jeff_F_N
May 10, 2004
I am positive it is not flattened and it is only a 54meg file. I have even tried to open it with my pc and it is the same result.
R
Ram
May 10, 2004
What file format did you use?

Does it still open with layers in CS?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 10, 2004
Photoshop 7 can’t edit 16 bit images with layers.
JF
Jeff_F_N
May 10, 2004
So are all psd’s in CS 16bit? If not how can you change it to 8 or whatever 7 will open it up with.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 10, 2004
No, only if you open/create it as 16 bit/channel.
JF
Jeff_F_N
May 10, 2004
So can anyone tell me if there is a way to convert it down bit wise so 7 can read it?
DK
Doug_Katz
May 10, 2004
And why AREN’T those layers showing up in 7? I thought we had pretty much complete backward compatibility (except for some rarities with version 6). Is this wrong?
R
Ram
May 11, 2004
Jeff,

So can anyone tell me if there is a way to convert it down bit wise so 7 can read it?

Photoshop 7 can read 16-bit files with no problem if you flatten them so there are no layers or save them with Maximize Compatibility on. Otherwise, just go to Image Mode in CS, select 16-bit from the menu and re-save (or save with Maximize Compatibility).

Reading a 16-bit image is not a problem, it’s just that 7 does not support layers in 16-bit mode. If you saved with Maximize Compatibility, Photoshop 7 will open your 16-bit files from CS, albeit without layers.
R
Ram
May 11, 2004
Doug,

See my post above.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections