PS 7 (on a G4) cannot open my PS CS doc (created on a G5)

ML
Posted By
Matt_Leaver
May 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently upgraded to a dual processor G5 , OS 10.3, and PS CS. I work with a company who has G4’s running OS 9.2 and PS 7.

When I send them my files, they cannot open them, getting an alert which reads something to the effect of "cannot open this file because there is not enough ram". Their machines have 1.5 Gb’s of ram, so this should not be an issue, right? Also, the files are small, under 5 Mb’s each.

Any ideas? thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
May 12, 2004
Matt,

Under 9.x, RAM has to be allocated manually to each application. Have them quit Photoshop, highlight its icon and do a Get Info on it (Command I). Then they can get to the popup menu and go to Memory, where they should allocate as much RAM to Photoshop as they can in the Preferred Size box. They can have 1.5GB of RAM installed, but the application can not use more than its allocation as per the above procedure.
R
Ram
May 12, 2004
Personally, I give Photoshop 7.0.1 at least a full Gig under 9.2.2.

Also, make sure they have updated to Photoshop 7.0.1.
ML
Matt_Leaver
May 13, 2004
It’s still not working… they have allocated as much ram as they can to PS, (630 Mb’s), and they still get the alert "cannot open (file name) because there is not enough ram".

Keep in mind that the file they are trying to open is only 3 Mb’s…

Any other thoughts? thanks again.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 13, 2004
check your scratch disk space.
R
Ram
May 13, 2004
Matt,

The files may be getting damaged in transit. How are you sending them, email or CD? Is AOL involved in any way at either end?

Try sending them stuffed (.sit) or zipped files.

Better yet, upload them somewhere and give them a link to the images.
GB
g_ballard
May 13, 2004
Exactly what type of file are you sending, what type of layers??

How are you sending the files?
(If over the internet, try putting them in a folder and Use Stuffit to compress it).

EXACTLY how have they tried opening them?
Is this one person, one workstation who can’t open your files?

Can they open with Mac Base extensions enabled?
Can Image Ready open the files?

Can you post one of the problem files?

+++++

I had a "high powered" AD exec, who got hired for her computer savvy, on an account of mine.

She switched to a PC and I got her dual 500 to nuke for return to the dept.

She had 1.5gb ram, but only 32mb assigned to PS (under 9x)…
ML
Matt_Leaver
May 13, 2004
How do you check the scratch disk space?

They were being uploaded via ftp, then downloaded. AOL was not invloved (unless they snuck in there somehow and trashed my files). 😉

I have also sent them through e-mail stuffed (.sit files) as well as transfered them straight from my hard drive (i-pod) to their machines…
ML
Matt_Leaver
May 13, 2004
One correction: they are running PS 6, not 7.

They have tried to open the files through every method.

But, I just got a message saying that they CAN open them in ImageReady. All the layers are intact, no corruption. They can then do a "save as" and then PS can open the new file.

So, at least we have a work-around now… although I do find this strange…

thanks again.
R
Ram
May 13, 2004
Matt,

they are running PS 6 …

Ah! You should have said that right away.

Some images created in Photoshop 8 (CS) cannot be opened in version 6 because of a bug in version 6.

It’s in the Frequently asked Questions in this forum, which I assumed you had read before posting:

Chris Cox "Some images saved in Photoshop CS will not open in Photoshop 6" 2/13/04 3:45pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
R
Ram
May 13, 2004
They need to open your images in Photoshop 5.x, 7.0.1 or 8 (CS).

Photoshop 6 is history, so it won’t be updated.
ML
Matt_Leaver
May 13, 2004
Sorry… I thought for sure they were running 7 (until I clarified with them)… thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections