DK
Posted By
Doug_Katz
May 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Would someone be kind enough to explain the difference between these? Specifically, if I create a Solid Fill layer above my pixels, set its mode to Color and reduce its opacity, how is it functionally different than a Photo Filter layer using the same color and an "equivalent" density?

Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JS
Jeff_Schewe
May 12, 2004
The layer blending in Photo Filter is different from ANY of the normal Photoshop single belnding modes. So, you could NOT duplicate it using just Color Mode.

As to the specifics of the blend, chris Cox would have to define it, but I suspect it’s propriatary.

So, Color blend of a Color Fill layer is only similar, not exatctly the same.
DK
Doug_Katz
May 12, 2004
Thanks, Jeff. Turns out my eyes are telling me you’re exactly right. If I try to get that "equivalent density" in a Solid Fill layer that I mentioned in my originating post above, I simply can’t do it. And trying other blending modes besides Color will, as you say, only approximate what the Photo Filter does. But I’m right that the difference is a subtle one, yes? Kind of like the real photo filter that we screw onto our lenses?
JS
Jeff_Schewe
May 12, 2004
Doug, yes, it duplicates the effective applicationof an actual camera filter. The blend is a little bit colorand a little bit color burn/multiply. the exactmath isbeyond me. Hence the Chris mention. . .he would know.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 13, 2004
It’s similar to multiply, but done in a way that doesn’t have a huge dependency on the colorspace.

Yes, Photo Filter is more accurately simulating a color photographic filter placed in front of the lens. (or drop in behind the lens for people with too much money to spend on lenses 😉
DK
Doug_Katz
May 13, 2004
Thank you, gentlemen.

(Jeff, I’m not smart enough to follow the math even if it were laid out for me…. the explanations given here are what I needed.)
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
May 13, 2004
I am not so sure how successful photo filter is I think there might be room for improvement. I use these particular filters quite a lot on my Schnieder, Rodenstock
and Nikon lenses (when shooting scouting pics) and quite frankly from my experience these filters don’t quite cut it.

That is my observation.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 13, 2004
Than I guess you need to unplug the computer.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 13, 2004
Wade – it’s as accurate as I can get with only 3 color channels (because spectral information has been lost at that point).

Do try adjusting the density and turning off the "preserve luminosity" checkbox.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
May 13, 2004
That does work better and I would say that if one did goof in the selection of film this would probably be a very good starting point with most of the image data preserved.

Mike as I mentioned before I never pick on someone smaller than me so I’ll wish you sweet but impossible dreams. Good night.
L
LRK
May 13, 2004
Doug,

Not in any way touting my photos because there’s nothing to tout but I thought you might be interested in seeing what several photo filters did to improve very brackish water and a washed out sky.

The top two photos are variations of intensitiy with the photo filter. The bottom photo is the raw uncorrected version.

Here’s a link. <http://graphicspalmbeach.com/client/cindisailboat/1155.html>
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 13, 2004
Bigger, globally, is not better, bigger, in the right places, is.
L
LRK
May 13, 2004
I just realized that I was mistaken about the adjustments I made on the previous posted image. For the water I actually did a combo of photo filter adjustment layer and a gradient fill adjustment layer set to Screen mode. Sorry for the wrong info.

The sky is has been enhanced with photo filters though.

Link from previous post. <http://graphicspalmbeach.com/client/cindisailboat/1155.html>
DK
Doug_Katz
May 13, 2004
It’s mean to show pictures like that to someone sweltering in 90 degree, swampy weather in Washington, DC.

Thanks a lot, LRK 🙂
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 13, 2004
<http://moon.kpix.com/live/baycam>

I can throw rocks at the camera from the office.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
May 13, 2004
This is Sheepshead Bay looking at the Manhattan Beach Section of Brooklyn. This is a current project:

High School <http://mysite.verizon.net/wzphoto/KBCC11.jpg> High School <http://mysite.verizon.net/wzphoto/KBCC9.jpg>

No filtration Old style uncoated Apo lens. Very little color correction best not use filtration in or out of Photoshop except when it is unavoidable.

BTW this is where Mordy Golding grew up. Not as interesting as it use to be but still popular for fishing the Atlantic Ocean. And of course not nearly as polluted as the S.F. Bay. Although I enjoyed photographing the bay area as well.
L
LRK
May 13, 2004
Doug: Sorry about that. I feel for ya! 🙂

Mike: I could live with that view. Break time you pick up your Starbucks and head for the bay? I hope you have a window in your office.
L
LRK
May 13, 2004
Very nice Mr. Z
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
May 14, 2004
Thank you.

BTW Polarizing filters cause to much saturation and a color sift I find to be artificial. And I don’t think they are necessary for water shots at anytime.

Also if you notice in these photos I am saying more than this is a school building my client design and it is by the water. That is what I think would help your work as well as Cindy if you went further. Once you get in touch with who you are then you can more freely express things in your images and then they are not so matter of fact.

I admit that sometimes I tell a tall tale but that’s who I am.

For example.

On the Road <http://mysite.verizon.net/wzphoto/AVL.jpg>
CC
Chris_Cox
May 14, 2004
Yeah – but polarizing can also open up colors that you can’t see due to reflections (which I’ve used to good effect on some lakes and streams).
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
May 14, 2004
I guess it is each to his own I never had the need for it.
L
LRK
May 14, 2004
I am looking forward to some bright sunny summer days to play with my new polarizer.
AW
Allen_Wicks
May 15, 2004
Wade-

None of those links are working for me.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
May 15, 2004
Should work now I took them off as I don’t keep the images posted for more than a couple of days.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
May 16, 2004
I am sure by now Allen you’ve visit the links I am pulling them again.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections