Web gallery: why do vertical images convert into horizontals?

TA
Posted By
Tom_Art
May 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a recurring problem when I import photos into PS’s web gallery. It will take vertically oriented photos and make them horizontal. As I remember, this didn’t happen in the last version. Is this a bug? Any workarounds other then having to manually rotate each image of the web pages?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TA
Tom_Art
May 19, 2004
Can anyone confirm if this is a bug?
C
Cindy
May 19, 2004
I have never had that happen. It might be the style you selected. Try changing the style to simple and see if it does the same thing.
BM
bobby_mcfall
May 21, 2004
This is happening to me when I open an image from iPhoto in PS8. Most frustrating!
CC
Chris_Cox
May 21, 2004
bobby – Photoshop only rotates images if the image is already marked to be rotated.
BM
bobby_mcfall
May 21, 2004
Hi Chris – I upload images from my Canon 10D into iPhoto. I edit the photos in Photoshop. If I’ve rotated an image in iPhoto and then open it in Photoshop, it turns another 45 degrees. What do you mean when you say a photo is "marked" to be rotated? I didn’t have this problem until I upgraded to CS – there were no problems in 7.0
R
Ram
May 21, 2004
If I’ve rotated an image in iPhoto and then open it in Photoshop, it turns another 45 degrees.

I seriously doubt that. 🙂
AW
Allen_Wicks
May 21, 2004
Yeah, 45 degrees would be quite a feat. <g>
CC
Chris_Cox
May 21, 2004
Bobby – most likely iPhoto is rotating the image but not changing the EXIF data that says the image needs to be rotated. That would be a bug in iPhoto.
TA
Tom_Art
May 24, 2004
As far as I can tell, this is a Photoshop problem. Other applications in Panther do recognize the rotated image: Preview, any browser, Photoshop 7. I imported a vertical photo into Illustrator 10 and it retained the proper orientation. For some reason, CS does not like verticals! I would hope Adobe releases an update to fix bugs like these. Until then I will use iPhoto’s web export feature–not as nice but it works the way it should.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 24, 2004
Tom – again, Photoshop only rotates the image if the image is marked to be rotated.

This is not a problem, not a bug, and thus not going to be "fixed".

What might be a problem is if some other software does the rotation and fails to change the EXIF data saying the image need to be rotated.
TA
Tom_Art
May 25, 2004
Ok, I will go bug Apple about this.
BM
bobby_mcfall
May 27, 2004
OK guys – so I’m mathematically challenged. I should have said 90 degrees. I still have the rotation problem…just worked with recent uploads to iPhoto (v.2) and opened them in PSCS – and they’re rotated from vert. to horiz. I’m going to try rotating them in the camera before uploading and see what happens then.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections