BZ
Posted By
Bruce_Zake
May 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having a slight problem saving PS CS files to my local disk. The disk has over 100gb of space and the error message that comes up is: Can not save as "file" because of a disk error" The files that I have tried to save are small – no larger than 10mb.

I have tried to save in different formats – jpg, tif, pshop all to no avail. I have tried to save to different folders on the local drive. I can save to my external HD and I can save other files as well on my local drive.

Any suggestions?!?

Running G5 single processor 1.6mhz with OS X 10.3.3 PS version 8.0. I did not see anything about errors on local drives in support or user to user. I did see some info on problems saving to an external. I’m having the opposite problem.

Thanks in advance.
Bruce

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
May 21, 2004
The hard drive is bad??

you have a bad cable or conection to the drive??
BZ
Bruce_Zake
May 21, 2004
I’m not sure that the HD or internal cable could be bad since I am able to write other files to it. Of course, my next step is to sit on hold for apple. It just seems that if I can write other files to the internal drive, receive faxes which turn into pdf’s and are saved to that drive and open and save other docs, it could be something else…
Thanks for the reply.
Bruce
R
Ram
May 21, 2004
Any non-UNIX characters anywhere (like curly apostrophe’s, special characters, etc) in the path (name of file, folder, drive)?
BZ
Bruce_Zake
May 21, 2004
Nope, just saving as "filename.jpg" or filename.tif" I have used underscores in between words but this has never been a problem. I did just quit the program, restart and dragged a file from my external, opened it and saved with a different file name to my desktop without the message popping up.

My next step is to try and run disk first aid to check and fix permissions if this is going to be persistant. I last thing I want to have happen is to save the contents of the drive and replace it with a system, etc. Aarrgh – that would be a wasted day.

Do any of you have experience with the newer versions of Norton. I haven’t gone down that road yet and I’m not sure the older version I have (v7.0.3e006) will work in the Panther environment.
B
Buko
May 21, 2004
I have Norton 8.0.1 work’s just fine. I just use it from the CD.

I never load Norton on the computer.

Norton may not run on the G5 because the startup disk is 10.2.4

you will need to make a partition and systen just for Norton.
R
Ram
May 21, 2004
Bruce,

Underscores are fine, they won’t be the cause of any problems.

Don’t install anything with the Norton name on it on your boot up drive. Disk Doctor is OK if you work off the CD, or off a dedicated startup partition like Buko says.

DiskWarrior is much better.

Try trashing Photoshop’s preferences and relaunching the application.
C
c8cc
May 23, 2004
Hi, i have the same problem but only from time to time.

Quitting PSCS and restarting it solves the problem temporarily. Is this the same behaviour you are experiencing?

Is there really any issue known where trashing the PS preferences did help anyway? I don´t think so, but i´d like to be proven wrong.
GB
g_ballard
May 23, 2004
Is there really any issue known where trashing the PS preferences did
help anyway?

CORRUPTION (for one)
HACKS (for two)
RESTORING DEFAULTS (for three)

These rank up there with user responsibility for performing regular routine maintenance and learning how to use the tool effectively…
C
c8cc
May 23, 2004
Hmm, i´m working nearly eight hours a day with PSCS and i had a lot of problems with it. Trashing the preferences (which i did a couple of times) didn´t help once. But i will try this even in the future just for the fun of it and because it´s the first help you get from the Adobe team 😉

These rank up there with user responsibility for performing regular routine maintenance >and learning how to use the tool effectively…

I don´t understand this. Maybe because of my poor English or more likely because of the meaning of it. I´m working years now with PS and i never had to care about the preferences. Hacks and restoring defaults – is this your daily business – my business seems to be different.
BZ
Bruce_Zake
May 23, 2004
So c8cc,

Do you think, as I do, that your primary disk drive is ok? I think this is a PS-CS problem and not an internal disk drive problem. I did restart PS and have had no problems since.

But the question remains, why should I have to restart?

To G Ballard:
Not to be snarky about this but…
What do hacks have to do with this anyways. I’m a little confused as c8cc is about that comment. I understand that sometimes the prefs get corrupted, but I thought that that was more of a OS 9 problem than that of OS X. Please explain what "regular user maintenance" of PS is. I know what regular user maintenance of my system should be, but PS?

Sincerely,
Bruce
GB
g_ballard
May 23, 2004
When You Cannot See your DEADLINE — For the Blood in Your eyes — Then You WIll Understand

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html>
C
c8cc
May 23, 2004
Hi Bruce,

The drive is definitely o.k. – i checked nearly everything about the disk with a lot of tools (not only because of this problem) but the disk seems to be o.k. Another hint is that PSCS is the only program which has problems with the disk. Even PS7 (which i use very often because of some filters) has no problems with the disk.

At the moment everything works fine for quite a long time – but i know your problem very good – especially at the time when i had only one drive in my mac and no external drive at hand – saving not possible – what can you do – you know what i mean…
C
c8cc
May 23, 2004
Hi g ballard,

don´t get me wrong – you know i´ll always do the preferences trashing when discovering something strange, but it really didn´t help once – because of being a heavy PS user i can´t think any of the program errors being solved with the prefs (definitely existing – e.g. look to the info-palette/slow text redraw issue, where the Adobe team told me – what do you think – to trash the prefs).

But i´m not the John Doe PS user and so the prefs-trashing could help someone in very rare cases for sure, of course…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 23, 2004
When we talk about "regular maintenance", we are talking about System Maintenance.

Did you "Repair Permissions"before AND after installing new software? Do you allow the Cron Scripts to run/
Do you have Cocktail? And do you use it?
Have you run Disk Warrior on your HD?
Do you have a second internal HD to use for your Photoshop Scratch disk? Have you checked for loose internal cables and badly-seated RAM? Have you checked for bad RAM?
Have you checked for bad fonts?

Just straight-forward things like that……
C
c8cc
May 23, 2004
Why is PSCS the only program which has problems with my HD? Why does PS7 has no problems?

Why should i do all the things you describe (btw. i did a lot of them) just because of PSCS having the problems?

This should be regular maintenance for PSCS? Sorry, this is ridiculous. Maybe Adobe should add to the system requirements that you have to employ a technican.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 23, 2004
Why do anything?
Why use Photoshop at all?
And why bother to ask for help?
C
c8cc
May 23, 2004

O.K. – i´ll give up.

Let me give you a final example:

Diana Kwong "A reason for the text-redraw problem and slow-down problems?" 5/23/04 11:45am </cgi-bin/webx?50/13>!login=true

I posted this in january, someone of Adobe could reproduce it, now it´s may – is there an update since then – no – so your question hits the point: why bother to ask for help, when everything is related to system maintenance and updates are unnecessary for Adobe.

That´s the problem with monopoly software which i unfortunately need for my daily work.
GB
g_ballard
May 23, 2004
c8cc,

we are only trying to get you back to work…but maybe they should 🙂
C
c8cc
May 23, 2004
c8cc: now back at work 😉

(with a good working PSCS at the moment, even if i can´t use the info palette normally)

Peace.
GB
g_ballard
May 23, 2004
ps:

after looking at your link, it looks like you have had problems for a long time…sorry for for trouble
BZ
Bruce_Zake
May 23, 2004
Hi Ann,

Response to your questions:

Did you "Repair Permissions"before AND after installing new software? Generally, yes

Do you allow the Cron Scripts to run/
Do you have Cocktail? And do you use it?
Don’t even know what these are…

Have you run Disk Warrior on your HD?
Norton is what I prefer…

Do you have a second internal HD to use for your Photoshop Scratch disk? External HD

Have you checked for loose internal cables and badly-seated RAM? Yes

Have you checked for bad RAM?
How does one check for bad RAM before it’s too late. I had some when I first upgraded and it worked fine for a week then quit. My current RAM has no problems that I know of.

Have you checked for bad fonts?
Again – Don’t know how.

Sorry for all these questions, I’m definitely not new to the mac environment and haven’t delved into OS X nuances as much as I HAD to with OS 9. It seems like there was always less to know about OS X because I hardly ever have any glaring problems like we all had in OS 9. I guess I could be wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce
R
Ram
May 23, 2004
Did you "Repair Permissions"before AND after installing new software?

Generally, yes

Try “Always, yes”

Norton is what I prefer…

That’s a big part of your troubles right there. By all means get DiskWarrior.

Do you allow the Cron Scripts to run/ Do you have Cocktail? And do you use it?

Don’t even know what these are…

The Cron Scripts run automatically in the wee hours of the night if you let your machine run 24/7. If you turn it off at night, you need to get Cocktail to run the Cron Scripts manually.

As for fonts, if you have a font management utility like FontAgent Pro, it will check them for you.
R
Ram
May 23, 2004
Generally, the best policy is never to install anything with the name Norton on your boot up drive. it’s OK to run Norton’s Disk Doctor off the CD or on a separate, dedicated startup partition if you really want it there; but don’t install Norton Anti Virus, Scheduler or File Saver. They are too intrusive and cause more harm than they do good.

Again, get DiskWarrior.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 23, 2004
The Cron scripts are built-into OSX but they are set to run in the middle of the night so, unless you leave your machine on 24/7 they won’t run.

Cocktail lets you run these scripts whenever you like and also does a lot of other maintenance tasks simply and quickly for you.
You can find it here:
<http://www.macosxcocktail.com/>

If you use FontAgent Pro to manage your fonts, it will root-out any bad ones. Likely culprits include old versions of Optima, Eras and TimesNewRoman MT; certain Microsoft ones including Impact and one that I think was called Gloucester but I got rid of it); and certain .dfonts which may clash with PostScript ones that you regularly use. (Look out for the Helvetica and Times .dfonts in your System/Library/Fonts– I have replaced these with either OTFs or Type 1s.)

The only sure test for bad RAM is to remove/replace it one stick (or pair) at a time and then run Photoshop for an extended period. Other programs don’t put such a load on RAM so trouble may only manifest itself when you are using Photoshop.

An external HD is a less efficient place to have your Scratch than a second internal HD — it would be worth installing the latter if you can.

You may prefer Norton but DW seems to be safer and do a better job. And do not install any Norton software on your computer: if you want to use it, run it only from the CD.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 23, 2004
I seem to have echoed everything that Ramón wrote but he’s a faster and better typist than I am!
R
Ram
May 23, 2004
Ann,

You have no idea how funny what you wrote is! 🙂 I’m the world’s lousiest typist.
C
c8cc
May 23, 2004
Sorry, once again me.

I did all the things which Ann and Ramón described (except of the RAM testing) and the "cannot save because of disk error" problem still appears rarely from time to time on my Mac. I used Norton from the Norton-CD (O.K. – maybe DW does a better job – but will this really help in this case, where Norton and Disk-Utility finds no problems?)

Once again: PSCS is the only program with this problem – judge yourself.

Just to let you know, Bruce.
R
Ram
May 23, 2004
Bruce,

The advice to Repair Permissions before and after installing new software is not an idle one. If you have a defective install (of anything) because you failed to heed the advice at the time of the installation, Repairing Permissions now is not going to remedy a faulty installation, if there happened to be one. You may indeed have a faulty Photoshop install, I can’t tell from here.

There’s no way to tell whether DiskWarrior will find and correct directory problems in your case, but, yes, absolutely, it’s not only possible but common for DiskWarrior to repair things that Apple’s Disk Utility and, especially, Norton have missed.

If the message continues to report a disk error, what I would do if I were in your shoes is to back up everything and erase the hard drive, writing it to zeros, and then reinstalling everything from scratch, remembering to Repair Permissions each time.

Photoshop makes extreme demands on the software and the hardware, much more so than any other program I know, and it’s very common to find faulty hardware and/or software only when running Photoshop.

Forgive me for not remembering right now whether you have confirmed that you have no non UNIX characters in the names of anything in the path (files, folders, drives). It’s easy enough to check.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 23, 2004
c8cc:

Photoshop CS is almost certainly the heaviest user of both RAM and your scratch disk/hard drive that you possess.

Your problem is that your hardware is apparently not in good-enough shape to use this very powerful program. Until you correct that situation, your problems will continue.

All that I can tell you, is that i do not have any problems running Photoshop CS but that maybe because I am fortunate enough to have a comparatively new machine and that i do do the maintenance that i recommended to you earlier.
BZ
Bruce_Zake
May 24, 2004
Ramon, Ann & all,

Thanks for the advice. I think I may take your advice and reinstall the bundle of stuff. I know it will be a big pain, but my machine is only a few months old and it is my PS workhorse when I’m doing work for my clients. I rely alot on my powerbook to start alot of my work, but when it comes to tweeking and making things final for output, I move over to the G5 desktop. Thanks for all your great advice.

Cheers,
Bruce
R
Ram
May 24, 2004
Look closely at how you’re getting your images from the Powerbook to the G5.
BZ
Bruce_Zake
May 24, 2004
Images are transported over my internal network. Hardwired ethernet via linksys routers. Never had a problem…
R
Ram
May 24, 2004
Just don’t open or save them across the network, ever. Copy the closed files only from one computer to the other one.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections