Posted By
David_Luyendyk
May 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The question is this:
How do you get at the base raster file that defines a pattern when it is part of the pre-defined pattern library?

I’ve looked through numerous resources that seem to explain how to MAKE a pattern, which I know how to do. It’s almost the reverse that I want to do. I’ve used a pattern overlay as a background pattern for a web site and now I want to get at the base raster file that defines that pattern to use as a page background.

You can load sets of patterns from "Applications > Photoshop > Presets > Patterns". In that folder I found a number of "xxxx.pat" files, which is what you can load when in the pattern fill dialogue box. I need to get a 1 pattern contained in "Nature Patterns.pat", which is a set of patterns. Does anyone know how to do this if you understand my question?

Thanks

David Luyendyk

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
jonf
May 24, 2004
Not sure I understand … Are you saying you want to change the file that’s included in the pattern library to your own specifications? Otherwise I’m wondering why you don’t just fill an area with the pattern and save a document in whatever format you need. What is it that you need to "get at"?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 24, 2004
I don’t know if this is what you want, or which Nature pattern you are trying to retrieve, but this might be what you want.

Make an Effects Layer/Pattern Overlay.
Load the required pattern set from your Presets file and enlarge (to 1000%?) to get the whole image.
Control Click on the Effects Layer and choose: "Create Layer". Duplicate Layer to new document.
Make the changes that you want and create a new pattern from it. Fill page with Pattern (the one you just made).

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections