Posted By
Mr_SSP_Private
May 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Mr SSP Private – 09:13am May 25, 2004 Pacific

When I create PDF graphics (in Photoshop CS) they display TOO LARGE (about 25%) and spill off the screen when viewed with Acrobat 6 on a PC even though they are set to be viewed at 100 per cent.

They look correct when viewed with acrobat 5.05 on a PC, and ALWAYS display at the correct size when viewed on a MAC.

What gives?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
May 25, 2004
Ask the PC guys.
L
LRK
May 25, 2004
I always have that problem. I just hit Command-1 and everything fits in the screen.

[edited]

I see you are on a PC… well, you just need to use the shortcut to make it screen size there. Also Ramon is right. Posting this on the PC side will be more beneficial to getting the right response.
R
Ram
May 25, 2004
Linda,

His problem appears to manifest itself only on PCs, as per the original post. Command 1 won’t help much on a PC, which lacks a command key. 🙂
L
LRK
May 25, 2004
I caught that. See my edit. 🙂
R
Ram
May 25, 2004
Yes, you edited your post at the exact same time I posted.
L
LRK
May 25, 2004
Looks like we are on the same page today… and you’re fast! 🙂
G
graffiti
May 25, 2004
Mr SSP just needs to set the view preferences in Acrobat to "fit to screen". That’s probably what they are in the other versions that are being used.

Hi Linda.
L
LRK
May 25, 2004
Good point Graff! Hi back! 🙂
MS
Mr_SSP_Private
May 25, 2004
These are ‘interactive’ PDFs that use complex, heavily layered full screen Photoshop backgrounds. The use many video and audio files (which I also shoot and produce).

You can’t use ‘fit to screen’ because the of the MANY videos on various screen that have to play at specific sizes and coordinates (that’s why the 100%, open in full screen mode, and suppress menus, etc.).

Also it is authored ON A MAC, but my clients are principally distributing it to PS users (to promote their business, schools, organizations, etc..)

And, as I had stated previously, EVERYTHING has been fine THE LAST THREE YEARS, until Acrobat v6, and creating the graphics using ‘save as Photoshop PDF’ before importing into the master PDF file.

I don’t have these problems when I place the graphics in PageMaker (or Quark), print to PS, and distill.

However, i would have to go back and redo HUNDREDS of screens to resolve my last SEVEN projects.

BTW, I’ve been doing this the last 3+ years. This year, nearly $50K in just this type of work. Largest project (so far) was for Vermont American where I created a 300 (yes, three hundred) screen presentation.

My associated ‘read me’ file on each CD suggests that if the user has a display problem, to use the enclosed Acrobat 5.05 installer.

But it would be nice NOT TO HAVE TO DO THIS.
R
Ram
May 25, 2004
Then it’s not a Photoshop or Mac issue at all.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 25, 2004
Why don’t you put this together using a document-size set in pixels to an appropriate size for the average PC monitor?
[However you interpret "average" these days — 1024 x 768 pixels?]
MS
Mr_SSP_Private
May 26, 2004
Answer #1

I’m doing this exactly the same as I’ve done for 3+ years, MANY times.

With the Document open preferences, I set it to ‘full screen’, 100 percent.

The Pshop source images are 800×600 @ 72 dpi.

The Default zoom for all links is ‘fixed’ and the pages are at 100% when the links are created.

Only the ‘background’ for each screen is created in Pshop. There are NO layers or ‘vectored’ objects in the PDF generated out of Pshop. All the ‘buttons’ are in the Pshop file, with ‘links’ in Acrobat (rather than the ‘forms’ tool).

Acrobat is essentially used as a delivery medium for the ‘linked/placed’ media files (QuickTime movies & wav files) that either auto start (page action) or by ‘links’, or by using the multimedia tool to place the poster frame directly on the ‘background’.

Looks beautiful (function of the Pshop backgrounds, videos, sounds), very efficient, loads fast (on all systems), no headaches for the end user . . . UNTIL NOW.

And, it ONLY causes trouble on windows machines NOT RUNNING Acrobat 6. v5 everything looks fine! On the machines that we reinstall v5 . . . everything is back to norm. (suggested as a ‘fix’ in the associated ‘read me’ file)

I can live with it . . . but why make the user ‘jump through’ another hoop?

Answer #2

Well it sorta is a Pshop issue, because when I was testing this latest project on a Windows 98 machine (for the first time) with Acrobat 6 about a week ago I got the greatly enlarged screens – about 25 %. (menus and buttons were off the screen) Upon my second try, I launched Acrobat first and got the ‘auto update’ window.

I said yes (thinking this was the problem), and it took me to an Adobe page that suggest I run the 6.01 update. When I read the associated read me it said there was a KNOWN problem with certain PHOTOSHOP created PDFs displaying at the correct resolution. I thought BINGO.

However, when I clicked the pop up list to select ‘Windows 98’, and DSL/Cable’ connection I was downloaded the 5.05 Acrobat installer???

That fixed the problem (if you could call that a fix).

I searched Adobe’s web site with various key workds and phrases, but have found NO MENTION of this other that to say that the 6.01 update fixes some ‘multimedia’ problems.

I have had two potential clients in the last week comment about ‘will all my viewers have to reinstall an older version of Acrobat?’ I assured them, that it is a small percentage of vewers that have this problem . . . But you can tell there is a certain ‘caution’ on their side of the deal.

And to reinterate, it only happens with Photoshop creatd PDFs (on a Mac – I’m assuming) running on older windows machines (I’ve not had the problem with XP) with Acrobat 6.

Crazy!
MS
Mr_SSP_Private
May 27, 2004
I found the answer (courtesy of two guys on the Acrobat forum)

Turns out that even though it was created at 800 x 600 and 72 dpi, and it was set to display at 100%, Acrobat’s ‘display preferences’ needs to be set at custom and 72 dpi, otherwise it will ‘screw up’ every time.

Thanks anyway for the responses, and you might try to remember this if you use Photoshop to create PDFs, it’s been a real pain for me (because it always worked before – in Acrobat 5)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections