WG
Posted By
Welles_Goodrich
May 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A friend sent me a TIFF which she couldn’t open. Photoshop opened it up with a warning dialog which read "Pixel aspect ratio correction is for preview purposes only. Turn it off for maximum image quality." The image was a ‘simple’ black and white line drawing of a map to a rural home. The image mode was (Bitmap)[scaled]. It was scaled 100% vertically but only 50% horizontally 8.5 x 11 @ 300dpi for printing. Experimentation proved that Image > Pixel Aspect Ratio > Square returned the image to normal although it had been received with a Custom Pixel Aspect Ratio. I changed it to a Grayscale image and printed it just fine.

I can’t believe that the people who sent that image intended it to be so strange and I wondered if anyone would have any idea why a TIFF should come with such strange aspects?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 28, 2004
sleeping while driving?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 28, 2004
Maybe it was the kind of tiff format that is in common use for fax machines. Sure it wasn’t multi-page?
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 28, 2004
Ed,

That’s a good idea. The image forwarded to me was a single TIFF so I’m not sure how to ascertain if it had been multi-page originally. My friend just passed along the file. Just now I looked at the file with Get Info and see that the original file was only 28K. This seems incredibly small for a TIFF which, when ‘expanded’, had a print size of 8.5 X 11 @ 300dpi. I do think your idea of fax machine format makes sense but I’ve never run into this before as I don’t fax.
RG
Rene_Garneau
May 28, 2004
The image forwarded to me was a single TIFF so I’m not sure how to ascertain if it had been multi-page originally. My friend just passed along the file.

If you received it in an e-mail through Mail in OS X; hit Control while clicking on the attachment and select Open Attachment; it will open it and from there you can find out if it was a multi-page tiff.
Z
Zeb
May 28, 2004
Chris Cox "Pixel Aspect Ratio Issue" 5/11/04 7:24pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 28, 2004
Rene,

What’s the difference between using a contextual menu to open the attachment with my default TIFF app (Photoshop) or dropping the file on the Photoshop dock icon? I’m missing something I think.

Zeb,

Great! You’ve confirmed Ed’s supposition. Thanks.

Cheers!
Welles
CC
Chris_Cox
May 28, 2004
Welles – there shouldn’t be any difference.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 28, 2004
I didn’t think so either but wanted an out in case I was missing something. I happen to be a serious contextual menu user with a menu of options which beggars the imagination…except when used in specific applications like PS, of course.

I still don’t comprehend how a single TIFF could be a multi-page item.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 29, 2004
Lots of programs can produce multi-page documents. Aside from page layout programs of course. Freehand Document comes to mind as does Acrobat/PDF as examples of formats that support multiple pages.

Multi-page tiffs are not uncommon and are used for faxes. I have a couple of Windows applications that can read and create them. There are Mac programs that can write and view them as well.

<http://home.earthlink.net/~ritter/tiff/>
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 29, 2004
Ed,

I understand multi-page documents but not a multi-page document sent as a single TIFF which can be opened by Photoshop, although conceivably I could view a single TIFF which was created from multiple pages in another file format. Perhaps I’m stuck in a semantic quibble loop. Sometimes I’m slow to grasp concepts.

Let me ask this. If I received a multi-page TIFF and opened it in Photoshop what would I see. Multiple pages as separate sections of one larger image? Multiple images?

This question has started me on another quixotic foray into learning. Thanks for the liink you provided.
T
Todie
May 29, 2004
I think that Photoshop would ask you which page you want to see.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 29, 2004
Aha…that makes sense.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 29, 2004
Right now, Photoshop will only read the first page of a multipage TIFF file.
T
Todie
May 29, 2004
Ooops!
(it must’ve been another application that I was not remembering enough about)
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 29, 2004
Thanks, Chris.

I found a shareware ($15) TIFF viewer for Mac which is carbonized and thus works in OS X. It showed my ‘strange’ TIFF with proper expansion and is useful for seeing multi-page TIFFs although it won’t work with FaxSTF files which, even though they are FAX files, have a proprietary file format.

<http://www.blueglobe.com/tiffsight.html>
RG
Rene_Garneau
May 31, 2004
Rene, What’s the difference between using a contextual menu to open the attachment with my default TIFF app (Photoshop) or dropping the file on the Photoshop dock icon? I’m missing something I think.

Yes you’re missing something, use the contextual menu to "Open attachment" not "Open attachment with… Photoshop".

If you click "Open attachment", OS X will open that tiff with the OS X Generic Preview application, and from there you click on one of the menu icon at the top (don’t remember which one, I’m not in front of an OS X Computer) that will open a "drawer" will open to the right and you’ll see all of the pages (in thumbnail format) of this multi-page fax. From there you can click on the thumbnail of page 3, let’s say, and it will preview page 3 of the fax for you.

You can "Save As" each pages separately, and open them in Photoshop.

It will save you $15.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 31, 2004
Thanks, Rene! You’re thinking of Preview. Needless to say I didn’t know that and that’s good info!
RG
Rene_Garneau
May 31, 2004
That’s right – Preview.

Glad to help.

: )

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections