Posted By
Bill_Dennen
Nov 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there–

I just printed out several picture sets… and none of the printed photos are truly the size they’re supposed to be. They’re all smaller in one dimension.

I’m printing photos right out of my 2.1MP camera… no retouching or resizing.

Is this the problem? Do I need to resize these photos to the size I want before using the Picture Sets option? If so, this is a pain! I wish elements just cropped them as necessary.

What do you think… is this correct? Is resizing/cropping needed before printing?

Thanks-
Bill

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 27, 2003
Good morning, Bill, and Happy Thanksgiving!

The images coming out of your digital camera will have a long dimension to short dimension ration of 4 to 3, so if you try to print, say, a 4×6 from one of them, it’ll come out 4 1/2 by 6 instead. If you want them to be exactly 4×6 (or any other standard size), you’re going to have to do some cropping.

Chuck
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 27, 2003
Bill, a further thought on this: cropping is a pain, but it might be more painful to let the program crop for you and pick the wrong area to save. That’s definitely happened with me on film prints left up to my friends at Eckerd’s…
BD
Bill_Dennen
Nov 27, 2003
Chuck-

Thanks. I’ve uploaded photos to various photo printing sites and have been pretty lucky with auto-cropping. Plus, some of them let you pick the cropping, which is good.

Photoshop Elements is great… I just wish I knew that I had to crop these photos before printing many of them out. Oh well. A lesson learned, I supposed.

Thanks again-
Bill
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 27, 2003
Bill, you’re welcome. Many of us here have gone away from standard size printing because we simply don’t want to crop away any of our image or force it to certain dimensions. Unless you’re trying to get them to fit in pre-sized plastic sleeves or something like that, there’s usually no compelling reason to crop to meet the standard size. I have all sizes and shapes lying around here as a result….

🙂

Chuck
BD
Bill_Dennen
Nov 27, 2003
Agreed. This was for a picture frame… 3.5×5!

Have a nice Thanksgiving.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 27, 2003
Ooops….yep, should have mentioned frames as a driving force. Oh, well…..

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections