DM
Posted By
David_Mozur
Nov 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Photoshop Elements 2 on 2.4gh desktop with 1 gig memory,running windows 2000 . Have newly established color profile for my 19" lcd monitor, using Pantone Colorvision PhotoCal. While trying to establish color profiles for my HP 990cse inkjet printer with Pantone ProfilerPlus, I seem to suddenly have screwed up the photoshop color response when viewed on the monitor.
I tried reinstalling Photoshop 2 software, but that didn’t help. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dmozur

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NS
Nancy_S
Nov 27, 2003
David,

Did you check in the display properties under color management to make sure your monitor is still using its own profile?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 27, 2003
Also, if you mean you want to start over, reinstalling doesn’t help this and luckily it isn’t necessary.

Just restart PE and then quickly grab control+alt+shift to trash the preferences. Your color settings will go away, too.
DM
David_Mozur
Nov 27, 2003
Thanks Barbara.
When I checked the display, the monitor profile was set at the new profile I had created with Photocal–just where it was supposed to be. I switched to the original profile. This resolved the problem.
When I tried to switch back to the new profile, I got an error saying it wasn’t a valid profile. I guess the new profile got corrupted. I’ll try recalibrating with Photocal. I’ll let you know what happens.
Thanks again for the advice
Dave
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 27, 2003
Oh, yes, sorry–I thought you meant you just wanted to know how to ditch all your PE settings. PE prefs won’t change your actual profile. Anyway, I’m glad you figured it out.
DM
David_Mozur
Nov 27, 2003
Nancy:
Sorry that I confused you with Barbara–who also responded

Dave
DM
David_Mozur
Nov 27, 2003
Barbara:
My message was actually in answer to Nancy’s response. As you say ,changing the preferences would not change the profile. Any way, Thanks to both of you, and I’ll post te results after I re-calibrate.
Dave
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 27, 2003
David,

Actually, I didn’t know that one could calibrate an LCD monitor. I do know that the included Adobe Gamma utility for calibration does not work for LCDs.

Also check how you have Color Management set up in the program. There are three choices; full (Adobe RGB), limited (sRGB) and no management, this will affect how your monitor displays colors. Which setup were you using?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 27, 2003
I do know that the included Adobe Gamma utility for calibration does not work for LCDs

Sometimes it does, Nancy. I’ve used it with a fair degree of success in XP.
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 28, 2003
Barbara,

Thank you for the correction.

Nancy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 28, 2003
Nancy, it seems really hit or miss with LCDs.

I’ve helped a couple of people calibrate laptops (which is really more or less impossible because of the screen angle problem) and just establishing a profile with it seems to make a big difference in print output from PE, but I’ve talked to other people who find adobe gamma doesn’t respond at all with an LCD, so I don’t have any idea of what determines whether or not it will do anything.
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 28, 2003
A LCD monitor can be calibrated with the Photocal spider. It comes with a device to hang the Spyder over the screen. The best way to do this is when it ‘s dark

Leen
S
Sunny
Dec 13, 2003
Is there a standard color profile that everyone uses? I mainly do my work on a laptop.

Dell Inspiron-1.5 P4-512ram-Windows Xp

When I view my work from most desktops, The color is much richer and full. My laptop seems to be a little washed out and I tend to create a little dark.

Any suggestions to make my laptop display properly?

Sheridan

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections