ME
Posted By
Michelle_Erturk
Nov 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 and a HP scanjet 5470c. I’m using Windows XP, with 512mb RAM. When I try to scan an image (having changed the import source to WIA-HP scanner 5470), I get the following error message, "Could not complete the import command because of a problem with the acquisition module interface." I tried going through Help, but got no help. Can anyone help, please?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NS
Nancy_S
Nov 28, 2003
Michelle,

I don’t know about the HPs, but with my Epson scanner I go to Import>Twain and my scanning software opens.
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 28, 2003
I have an older HP scanner, the 6300. I like HP products, but it seems that they march to their own drummer and aren’t concerned about interfacing well with other products. So I have resorted to simply scanning with the software that came with the scanner and saving the files to my hard drive and then just opening them with Elements.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 28, 2003
Jim, that’s exactly what I do with my Epson scanner – an extra step or two perhaps, but reliable….!
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 28, 2003
Hmmm. I don’t have any problems importing from PSE from my HP 4570C.

One time I chose the wrong source from Elements’ drop-down list when I tried to import, and from then on, it’s been nothing but perfect.

Hope your problem clears up, else scanning and saving and bringing the picture into Elements is a good alternative, as they’ve mentioned above.

Lorace
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 28, 2003
Chuck,

I have an Epson scanner too…you don’t have the listing of "Twain" under File>Import?
MO
mike.osullivan3
Nov 28, 2003
wrote in message news:…
Michelle,

I don’t know about the HPs, but with my Epson scanner I go to Import>Twain and my scanning software opens.

Works for me too. (Epson 2450 Photo). PE 2 > File>Import>Epson Twain.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 28, 2003
Nancy, I probably do….but before I switched to XP I had to reinstall the scanner drivers so often that I just got tired of it all…plus I learned to use the Epson Smart Panel and just got into a rhythm scanning from that starting point.
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 28, 2003
Chuck,

Oh, I see, you scan from the Smart Panel. That is a rather clever mini-program a ‘subcontractor’ created.
ME
Michelle_Erturk
Nov 30, 2003
Thanks to all of you for the help. I’ve gotten the scanner to work, but I’m not sure how or why. Here’s what happened. I looked for Twain, but it wasn’t one of my choices. I had the following: PDF Image, HP Precision Scan Pro 3.1, WIA HP Scanjet 5470C, Frame from video, WIA Support. So, I decided to go with the second suggestion: scan something into the computer and then go to PhotoShop. When I went to look for the HP Scanjet 5470C, I couldn’t find the icon so I looked in my add/change programs list (in Control Panel). HP Precision Scan Pro 3.1 was there but not the 5470. So, I added the 5470 back in (where did it go? I know I did have it in there). And guess what? The symbol that came back was the Pro 3.1! I went back to PhotoShop, selected the Scan Pro 3.1 from the import list and everything went exactly as it was supposed to!!! But why??? I’m happy I can use the program now, but I’m really confused. I don’t like the fact that something’s working, but I don’t know why. I’m afraid it will all disappear.
SK
Shan_Ko
Nov 30, 2003
Am I glad ever I bought an Epson scanner. Simply go to Elements 2’s File>Import>Epsonscan and the dialog box comes up. A whole lot less headache. 🙂

Shan
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 30, 2003
Michelle,

I’m glad you got it working and nice of you to report back. I am curious, if I understand it correctly….your scanning software is called Precision Scan Pro, it was second on the list under Import but you just never tried it to see if it afforded access to your scanner…is that right?

Nancy
R
Ray
Nov 30, 2003
I have an HP 4400c and, well… never had any software problems. If I want a scan from within PSE, I simply choose File / Import. In fact, I did 4 just today using the WIA driver. Epson or HP, I don’t think it’s a brand problem.

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 30, 2003
Ray, now that I have XP, I think I need to reload the driver (believe I have the TWAIN and the WIA is the right one for XP).

EVERYTHING is better with XP – thanks for encouraging me to make the move!

🙂

Chuck
R
Ray
Nov 30, 2003
Chuck,

HP softwares usually have an XP version that works better and comes with WIA driver (WIA = Windows Image Acquistion). WIA is not an XP only feature (was offered with Windows Misery Edition…) but it works better under XP. You should go on HP’s website and download the latest version of the HP Scan Pro software, if it’s not already done.

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 1, 2003
Ray, I would do that….except my scanner is an Epson and it may not like the HP driver…!

🙂

Chuck

p.s. my fault….I confused the issue. Must have been the pre-dinner cocktail….

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections