TC
Posted By
Tom_Cee
Jun 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just recently I upgraded to Photoshop CS from 7, and unfortunately I cannot access any file information from the file browser. I can open a file and nagivate through the hard drive to specific places, but no data or thumbnail is provded: all the files have little locks on them; and it’s not just images–everything appears as locked: applications, folders, the desktop, etc. However, when I "Get Info" on the folders and files, it shows I have full read and write permission. "Huh?" This issue has rendered file browser essentially useless. I’m running OS 10.3.2 and none of the files I’m trying to access are on external media. This sounds like more of a systems thing than a CS thing, but any advice would be grately appreciated.

Tom Cee

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 5, 2004
You did of course run "Repair Permissions" both before AND after installing CS didn’t you?!

If you didn’t — do so immediately!

If CS still doesn’t work, trash your prefs. and re-install CS. Then Repair Permissions AGAIN.
B
Buko
Jun 5, 2004
Also we are now at !0.3.4 You should repair permissions update and repair permissions again.
R
Ram
Jun 5, 2004
Click on the following link and read the thread:

Ramón G Castañeda "Repair Permissions BEFORE AND AFTER installing software (for the FAQs?)" 6/2/04 8:12pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
TC
Tom_Cee
Jun 8, 2004
Ann,

Thanks for the advice, albeit a touch condescending. I repaired permissions with no results; then I trashed my preferences, re-installed CS, and repaired permissions again with no results.
On a whim I decided to create a new admin. account on my computer and try CS from there. The file browser worked as it should. I’m not sure what’s wrong with my original account, but in the mean time I’ve dumped everything in the "shared" folder and am working off this new account.
Thanks for the help.

Tom
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 8, 2004
There is one other Pref. which relates to Photoshop which you may have missed: com.adobe.Photoshop.plist

See if trashing that one in your original "account" solves the problem.

[ No "condescension" was intended: I assumed that you knew about Repairing Permissions and trashing prefs. and would have done so — but mentioned them in case you didn’t, and hadn’t! ]

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections