why won’t a file open (a ps file) when double clicked?

DR
Posted By
D_Ross
Jun 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
i’m wondering if anyone else is having this strange problem.

when i am scanning to PS, or opening a ps file (tiff, jpg, psd) from entourage, or just plain double clicking a photoshop cs file (psd, tiff, etc) from the finder, photoshop launches, or it goes to it if it’s already open, but the file does not open.

it’s not a showstopper, but it certainly is a bit of a pain, and a recent thing.

anyone?

thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SW
Scott_Weichert
Jun 6, 2004
Check the FAQ at the top of the topic list.
B
Buko
Jun 6, 2004
why won’t a file open (a ps file) when double clicked?

because you did not read the FAQs
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 6, 2004
And all manner of plague and pestilence shall descend upon thou, and thine computer, — UNLESS thou readest the FAQs.
DR
D_Ross
Jun 6, 2004
let me guess, then. because i didn’t read the FAQ? πŸ™‚

admittedly, i didn’t scroll through that (i typically just do a search, which turned up nothing). but, it’s not the issue. i’ve never installed without an archive and install.

but i’ll reinstall and see if that cures it!
AR
Andrew Rodney
Jun 6, 2004
The solution to this common problem is t reinstall CS since there are some missing files in your system. I’d recommend when you reinstal, target the Photoshop folder to your desktop and then you’ll be able to trash the entire folder, keeping your ORIGINAL CS folder (probably in Applications) intact in case you’ve got some 3rd party plug-in’s etc. The reinstall will place the files you need in the system and allow you to double click (fix your problem) so the desktop folder is not at all necessary to keep around. Can’t remember but a restart might be in order. Then double click/drag and drop files over the doc will work like they once did.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 6, 2004
Why not just re-format the drive and install an new OS?

Welcome to OSX.
DR
D_Ross
Jun 7, 2004
jumped off the OS9 wagon two years ago. OSX: no issues whatsoever. adobe products (early indesign, golive, illustrator 10, etc), on the other hand… while loved, certainly full of their own issues.

would rephrase that statement: welcome to adobe.

will reinstall ps at some point. not a showstopper. thanks for all the comments!
AR
Andrew Rodney
Jun 7, 2004
Reinstalling the OS will insure that Photoshop needs to be reinstalled (or where you kidding Mo)? I’ve seen this happen over and over again, usually after a system update. Some files (which files I don’t know) that Adobe needs in the system can get trashed and the double click stops working. It’s easy enough to "fix".
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 7, 2004
<< Some files (which files I don’t know) Β… >>

It’s all in the aforementioned FAQs AndrewΒ…Β…

:~)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections