SL
Posted By
Sara_L_Grier
Dec 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to make a thin, very thin, colored line to frame some text. The custom shape rounded rectangle is too thick and I don’t seem to be able to adjust it. Any help here? Thanks

Sara

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 3, 2003
Sara,

While the custom shape rounded rectangle is created in a solid color, you CAN use it’s shape to create an outline.

After you’ve created the shape, it is on it’s own layer. Create a new, blank layer, and make it the active layer. Hold the CTRL key and, in the Layers palette, click on the SHAPE layer.

This creates a marquee in the shape of the contents of the SHAPE layer. In the Edit menu, select Stroke…

Choose your desired color and thickness, etc.

This should leave you with the outline, on it’s own layer, which you can position/size to suit your wishes. Easy to re-do if you end up wanting something else, because no other layers are "harmed".

HTH,

Byron
SL
Sara_L_Grier
Dec 3, 2003
Byron,

Thanks for the quick response. Problem is, when I hit stroke, while up pops a screen telling me to set the pixels, no matter what I put in there for options, it doesn’t change the size of the rectangle border. Is there a setting somewhere that I’ve locked up or something? Good grief, I know this is basic, but I appreciate you trying to help.

Sara
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 3, 2003
Sara,

I hope the answer is that you’re still seeing the original rounded rectangle shape… if you haven’t done so, after you do the stroke, click the eyeball symbol next to the shape layer in the layers palette. The eyeball toggles that layer’s visibility on/off.

If that’s not the answer, then I’m out of experience.

You could always try resetting PSE preferences, to make sure nothing’s twisted up, there. Close PSE. Then, position your fingers over CTRL-ALT-SHIFT. Click the PSE icon to start it up, and IMMEDIATELY press and hold the 3-key combination. A dialog will come up as PSE starts, allowing you to delete preferences.

Unless something unexpectedly comes to mine, I’m officially out of answers on this one. If the problem persists, post back and someone else will chime in, without a doubt.

Good luck!

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 3, 2003
Byron, your instructions worked perfectly for me, but I did notice in the original set you’d forgotten to add turning off visibility to the layer with the rounded rectangle. Now what I could not do was move that box around. So what did I miss?! 🙂
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 4, 2003
Beth,

By "box" do you mean the stroked outline of the rounded rectangle? If so, I just use the move tool… the outline is on it’s own layer, so it should be positionable anywhere.

If you meant otherwise, let me know!

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 4, 2003
Yes, you understood me correctly, but I couldn’t get it to move. I’m at a different computer right now, so I can’t try again. I’ll fiddle some more a little later. Thanks, Byron! Now that I think about it… I might have been on the wrong layer! Duh.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 4, 2003
Got it! And no I wasn’t on the wrong layer, but I’d put an extra "select" in there – literally. It doesn’t move when ants are marching around on it. 🙂
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 4, 2003
WTG Beth!!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections