JJ
Posted By
Jody_Joy
Jun 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve upgraded to OS X and my old (but still woking fine) UMAX Astra 1220U scanner driver is not available for OS X. I tried dragging the UMAX Photoshop plugin to the Photoshop CS plugin folder, but Photoshop doesn’t see it.

Is there a 3rd party solution or some workaround to this besides buying a new scanner?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
Jun 17, 2004
Before anyone suggests it…

I just checked, and Hamrick’s VueScan doesn’t support Jody’s scanner.
B
Buko
Jun 17, 2004
I use a Umax Astra 1200s with VueScan.

I would bet that it works just fine with 1220U

here’s a link <http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html>

download the app if it works pay the fee its well worth it.
P
Phosphor
Jun 17, 2004
Hmm…that’s interesting, Buko. Is your scanner SCSI? Those are supported. I just assumed USB in Jody’s case. (Upon rereading, (s)he does say it’s an old model, so maybe it’s a SCSI scannerr as well)

And yeah, you’re right. Couldn’t hurt to try, I suppose.

I love VueScan.
JJ
Jody_Joy
Jun 17, 2004
Hi guys,

Yes, my UMAX is a USB. I am going to try Buko’s suggestion and see if it works. BTW Buko, remember the old "PowerSaving" little app that you could put in OS 9’s Apple Menu that allowed you to turn the scanner on and off? That’s the only way I knew how to turn it on and off when I needed it. Otherwise it stayed on all the time!
B
Buko
Jun 17, 2004
My scanner is SCSI. I’m using it with an Adaptec 2906 SCSI card.

Ed Hamrick has definatly gone the extra mile for me in keeping my old 1200s working in every version of OSX.

1200U and 1220U are basicly the same as the 1200s & 1220s except how they connect. My friend has a 1220U and he uses VueScan.

Its been so long since I used OS9 but I don’t recall a power save app. I have a power switch on the Back.
P
Phosphor
Jun 17, 2004
I know what you going through, Jody.

My Epson stays on unless I unplug it. I’m guessing that’s why it was discontinued, and why I got it so cheaply from an Amazon 3rd-party vendor.

(and Jody: Just to avoid embarrassing gaffes…are you a guy or a gal?)
JJ
Jody_Joy
Jun 17, 2004
Hi Phosphor,

I am definitely female!! (Thanks for asking-I always get a kick out of posters in forums who always assume you are male!)
P
Phosphor
Jun 17, 2004
Go get VueScan and let us know if it works for you. It’s really nice in that it stands by itself, and puts only one folder on your hard drive. And once you’ve purchased it, you get free upgrades for life.

If it works for you, it’s well worth the money. And Ed Hamrick is one of the most attentive software developers in the business. He’ll bend over backwards to help out his customers.

<http://www.hamrick.com/>
BB
Berry_Banks
Jun 17, 2004
I haven’t tried this universal scanner software. But its worth checking out. www.sane-project.org <http://www.sane-project.org/>
P
Phosphor
Jun 17, 2004
Nice extra resource, Berry.

First I’ve heard of it.

Thanks on behalf of everyone.
BB
Berry_Banks
Jun 17, 2004
I discovered the site a few months ago, I wanted to try it first but my Polaroid Sprintscan was not listed or I would have posted the link earlier.

After reading a bit lately on these boards, I felt the info was worth reporting. Instead of purchasing Vuescan, I just boot into OS 9 when I need to scan, until I get another scanner.
B
Buko
Jun 17, 2004
I just boot into OS 9 when I need to scan,

What a Royal PITA
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 17, 2004
I just fire up my old networked G4 (which runs on 9.2.2) and use MagicScan for scanning with my UMAX Powerlook. Then all I have to do is to drag/copy the scans to my G5’s HD.
BB
Berry_Banks
Jun 17, 2004
Buko,

It is a pain, but until the funds are better, this is my work around.

You can donate $$$ to my scanner fund.!!!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections