SL
Posted By
Steve_Last
Dec 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Probably I am missing something basic but I can’t see how I can take photo image which is in one layer and fade it out round the edges so it merges gently into the one beneath. It looks like it should be a simple task as the gradient process is no different to starting with a single colour, but I can’t see how to do it starting with a coloured photo image. I can do it MS Photodraw so SURELY it’s possible with an Adobe product!
Steve

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 5, 2003
Steve, ya you’re right, adobe does it in plenty of ways. Here’s one way; Select the rectangular marquee tool and set the feather option ( just above screen ) rather high but this depends on the resolution of your image so you’ll have to do some testing on this….. anyways…make a selection around the inside of your image ( around where you want it to start fading out ) and then select inverse and click ‘delete’ on keyboard…repeat the delete on keyboard to further delete the image if you wish. That is just one way.
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 6, 2003
or choose the gradient tool in the Tool Box, (under the paint bucket)click the little down arrow to get choices of black to white, or black to transparent etc, can choose radial, linear and others
SL
Steve_Last
Dec 6, 2003
Thanks both, I also found that a large brush erase seesm to do much the same thing.. Thanks again
Steve
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 6, 2003
Steve, yup there’s lots of ways to do it in Elements. I often lower the opacity of a soft eraser to blend something out… Works like a charm !

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections