N
Posted By
nytrashman7618
Dec 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using an Epson 890 printer and have always gotten very good results. not being one to leave well enough alone i had a custom printer profile made. i printed the targets exactly as per the instructions from PSE 2. the printer profile arrived at my door on time and the service i used was very profecional overall. the only problem is………… the profile supplied with my printer from Epson produces better results. I have only had time to do some brief testing, i will do a more complete test of the custom printer profile this weekend (if I’m not shoveling snow) and let everyone know how i make out. i have purposely not mentioned the name of where i had the profile made as since i have not done an in depth test of this profile i do not want to make any false statements regarding this company or there services. if anyone is considering having a custom printer profile made, regardless from whom, it might be worth your while to wait until i have thoroughly tested mine and you can judge for yourself if it is worth it.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 5, 2003
George, the new toy looked better on TV ?? lol

yes I remember you were looking into a new profile for your Epson…which wasn’t broke 😉 …I’ll be interested in your progress. Good luck 🙂
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 6, 2003
George,
I make my own profiles ( for the 890 ) using Monaco EZcolor . They beat the Epson supplied profiles. If you’re looking for another hobby, get some profiling software for Christmas and turn yourself into a color scientest ! <G>

🙂

Brent
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 6, 2003
ah Brent, I knew it was only a matter of time that you’d be here talking Monaco 😉 Gosh, I’m really really happy with my prints on my Epson. If I had a pile of time and money I may play the EZcolor game…just for fun. 🙂
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 6, 2003
Jodi,
For me it’s all just for fun. When I read about this stuff, I just have to find an affordable way to check it out. That’s one reason my basement is full of computer junk <G> .

🙂

Brent
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 6, 2003
Brent, it’s all very cool. I have great respect for what you have accomplished. Computer junk sounds good to me 🙂 I’ve been looking for a second hand puter for my 5 year old daughter who insist on wanting to be on the puter as much as I. She got bored quickly with the paint program so now she uses the Arcsoft Photo Impressions software that came with my Epson install disc. Do you think I’ll be able to install just this software from the disc when I get her the PC ? I’m hoping to find an XP system though so it might be a little bit of a wait for her.
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 6, 2003
I suspect the software will install just fine. I’d think that a Pent III -800 or so would only be a couple hundred bucks, decently equipped. It’s too bad that when you have small kids, you’re perpetually broke, and later, when you have spare cash, there’s not enough kids to do it with. That’s my fix, 6 grandkids, and none of them need a computer this year <G> .

🙂

Brent
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 6, 2003
Brent, within a year I will probably need a new computer. So don’t worry, I would love to call you my grandfather. And I won’t tell anyone.

Leen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 6, 2003
lmao…dito !
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 6, 2003
Next, you guys will probably want a raise in your allowance, too ! <G>
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 6, 2003
sure 😉
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 6, 2003
A raise?! I’m still waiting for the first check to come at the old rate! I know you’ve got my address, so it must have been lost in the mail. Could you please resend? 🙂
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 6, 2003
Must be the Christmas mail rush has it all slowed down . Either that, or some other Beth Haney is having a ball in Hawaii with all the money I sent <G> !

🙂

Grandpa
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 6, 2003
I’m snowed in…i’m telling you ! No wait, there’s nobady around ;(
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 7, 2003
Here we go again. You’ve got snow and I’ve had sun all day. 🙁
N
nytrashman7618
Dec 7, 2003
snowed in here too…….
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 7, 2003
28 degrees C, sunny and the jacaranda trees are laying a carpet of purple along the street – I love this time of year – not too hot yet!

Susan S
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 7, 2003
Yes, but Susan, you’re on the other end of the world, so you don’t count! 🙂 I’m sitting here in the Northwest where people THINK it’s cold and snowy. Not. We’re being cheated.
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 7, 2003
Cold and windy here in Western North Carolina. High today about 34F. 3 inches of snow on Wednesday night. Spent the morning today at a Christmas Parade doing communications. Pulled my parka out!

Waiting for warmer weather.

Dick

Snow is all gone, BTW, but the memory lingers on.
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 7, 2003
Dick,
Asheville, perhaps ? That’s God’s country, in my book, usually we stay in Black Mountain when we visit. Wish I were there , now !!

🙂

Brent
N
nytrashman7618
Dec 7, 2003
now that i have some time i want to instal my custom printer profile. i have a mac running OS X 10.2.8 any idea where i should put this profile? the company where i got my profile from told me to put it in the system folder and the finder would place it where it belongs, but when i try that i am unable to do this becasue it says system folder can’t be changed. i "think" i need to put it where the other Epson profiles are stored but i can’t seem to find them. anyone have any ideas?
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 7, 2003
Profile locations:-

Windows 98, 98 Second Edition and Me – folder named windows/system/color

Windows 2000 and XP – sub-folder named system32/spool/drivers/color

Mac OS9.x – ColorSync profiles are located in the System Folder/ColorSync Profiles folder

Mac OSX – ColorSync profiles are located in the Library/ColorSync/Profiles folder

Courtesy of Ian Lyons’ website.

🙂

Brent
N
nytrashman7618
Dec 7, 2003
brent…….when i put the profile i had made in libary/colorsync/profiles it did not seem to work very well. i "think" i should put them where the epson profiles for my printer are but i am unable to fnd that. any advice where i should look?
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 7, 2003
George,
I’m a windows guy and can’t help much. 🙁 All the windows profiles are in a single location . Can you search your hard drive for all files ending in .icc and .icm ?

When you use the profile, you need to set the Epson driver to "no color adjustment" in the "Advanced " area. The Epson profiles have very curious filenames, generally looking like "EE039_3.icm", for example . They must be there somewhere, if you’ve used them, George. <G>

🙂

Brent
N
nytrashman7618
Dec 7, 2003
after finally finding where to save my profile to, here is what i have determined. although the profile supplied with my epson printer produced very good results the custom printer profile i had made exactly reproduces what i see on my monitor. there are very subtle differances which i did not notice until the photos were compaired side by side. much more attention to how you post process your photos in PSE 2 is needed when using this custom profile. little changes in contrast, saturation etc. are seen on the monitor and when printed the final result is as i said, exactly what appears on my monitor. so which profile do i think is better? at this point in time i believe i will continue to use the custom profile. i will print all my photos from the coming week using this profile and after that i will make my final decission,although right now i am leaning towards the custom profile. not one to leave well enough alone, perhaps i will have another profile made for the epson colorlife paper and see how that turns out.
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 8, 2003
Brent,

Just south of Asheville. We’re in the metropolis of Fletcher! Weather today was much better lots of sun and blue skies with temps in the low 40s.

Next time you’re coming to Black Mountain let me know.

Dick

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections