Posted By
Gordon_McGilvray
Dec 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Mac OS 9.2.2/iMAC G3/Photoshop Elements 2.0/Acrobat 5/HP Laserjet 1200

I am unable to print Photoshop Elements 2.0 PDF images I have saved. Here is the information on one such clearly displayed black on white image:

Header: %(B…

Size: 484K

Discription: 1-bit bitmap flat Photoshop PDF file, 2321×3102 pixels (7.71×10.34) @ 300.00 pixels/inch, written by Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0

What happens is my printer endlessly prints vitually blank sheets with only some random symbols at the top. Taking the paper from the tray of course stops the printing. But even after I delete the image from my printer box if I put paper back the endless printing continues. I must unplug the printer for 10 minutes to get the printer back to normal.

Normal is my HP 1200 prints anything and everything (including PDF documents from internet), but not my Photoshop Elements 2.0 images.

What can I do to print these images?

Gordon

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 7, 2003
I see it’s a laserjet printer, so have you ever been able to print normally from Elements, or can you print images in formats other than PDF?
GM
Gordon_McGilvray
Dec 7, 2003
This is my first attempt to print any image from PE 2.0. I previously used PhotoDeluxe.

Gordon
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 7, 2003
The first thing coming to mind is to check the HP site and see if you have the most current drivers for your Laserjet. PhotoDeluxe is pretty old software, so the drivers that worked with it may not work with a more sophisticated application like Elements.

The next thing I’m wondering about is whether you need to change any printer options on the Print Preview page. I have only a plain inkjet printer, so the option area is grayed out for me. Since you’ve got a laserjet loaded, you might find some setting that needs to be changed.

I’d also like to know if the same thing happens when you’re printing in another format, like JPEG, PSD, or TIFF.

The goal here is to get as much information as we can so we can try to narrow this down. You’re also at a disadvantage, because most people on the forum are using inkjet printers, so there’s not much experience with troubleshooting lasers.
GM
Gordon_McGilvray
Dec 8, 2003
I never thought that if my newer, faster, more expensive laserjet couldn’t handle Elements that my older, slower, cheaper color inkjet could. But it does. It printed PDF, TIFF and GIF. My laserjet can’t print any of them.

I downloaded the latest driver (May 2002) for my HP Laserjet 1200se to no avail. It may be that it is the same as I already had as I bought the printer in August 2002.

I can find no settings that need changing.

So, I’ll have to contact HP to get this straightened out. I’ll post my results with them.

Thanks for your help.

Gordon

PS: I didn’t try JPEG and PSD, as you suggested, because I don’t know how to. They are not on the Save As list in the Elements that I have. JPEG was the one I always used in PhotoDeluxe.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 8, 2003
Well, drat. I’m sorry you’re still having trouble using the laserjet.

As far as converting to another format, there’s a long list of them that should be available under Save As. PSD is actually listed as "Photoshop" and is at the very top of the drop down list. JPEG is the 5th one down. You are doing File>Save As, aren’t you?

Unfortunately I haven’t had very good luck getting support from HP, but I wish you well. And yes, please post back. I still suspicion there’s a setting somewhere in that Print Preview window of Elements that might be the key, but I can’t bring it up to be sure. There’s something tickling the back of my brain about this.

Check in again, because there are one or two Adobe people who try to check the forum on a pretty regular basis. One of them might be able to shed some light on this, now that the work week has started again.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Dec 8, 2003
wrote…
Mac OS 9.2.2/iMAC G3/Photoshop Elements 2.0/Acrobat 5/HP Laserjet 1200
I am unable to print Photoshop Elements 2.0 PDF images I have saved. Here
is the information on one such clearly displayed black on white image:
Header: %(B…

Size: 484K

Discription: 1-bit bitmap flat Photoshop PDF file, 2321×3102 pixels
(7.71×10.34) @ 300.00 pixels/inch, written by Adobe Photoshop Elements
What happens is my printer endlessly prints vitually blank sheets with
only some random symbols at the top. Taking the paper from the tray of course stops the printing. But even after I delete the image from my printer box if I put paper back the endless printing continues. I must unplug the printer for 10 minutes to get the printer back to normal.
Normal is my HP 1200 prints anything and everything (including PDF
documents from internet), but not my Photoshop Elements 2.0 images.
What can I do to print these images?

Gordon

I’m not sure what is in the link you posted, but will take a wild guess.

The HP1200 comes with Postscript 2 emulation, and PSE2 is not working with the default settings of the driver when you print a PDF.

I don’t have that specific HP printer, but I suggest you change the file type to something else, and try that.

When you get a chance, look at the printer driver options. Changing a setting will probably work.

Ed
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 8, 2003
Ed, isn’t there some kind of setting available under Options on the Print Preview screen when a laser printer is being used? The Help files give absolute minimum reference to ASCII, Binary, and JPEG encoding. They’re all Greek to me, because I’ve never used anything besides an inkjet with my home computers, and I never used Elements with the laser printers at work.

I think one of these settings is the key, but I don’t know how to get Gordon on the right track.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Dec 8, 2003
wrote …
Ed, isn’t there some kind of setting available under Options on the Print
Preview screen when a laser printer is being used? The Help files give absolute minimum reference to ASCII, Binary, and JPEG encoding. They’re all Greek to me, because I’ve never used anything besides an inkjet with my home computers, and I never used Elements with the laser printers at work.
I think one of these settings is the key, but I don’t know how to get
Gordon on the right track.

I don’t have PSE or an HP1200 on my Mac, so I can’t see what is available.

On my PC, if I switch to a PS driver for my HP4M, then I can access the ASCII, Binary, JPEG encoding.

Ed
GM
Gordon_McGilvray
Dec 11, 2003
Beth, your instincts about changing the encoding was right on. HP technical support instructed me to change the encoding from default binary to ASCII. Elements Help page "Choosing a print encoding method" told me how to do it. Problem solved.

Evidently the binary problem only occurs with a USB cable connection.

Incidentally, the JPEG mystery is also solved. JPEG is not on the list of formats for bitmap images because they are incompatible.

Thanks to you and Ed. It is gradifying to have persons so ready to offer help (and quality help at that).

Gordon
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 11, 2003
I’m glad you got that resolved, Gordon! I’d been thinking about you yesterday afternoon and wondering. You’re going to have to keep hanging out here so you can become our laserjet expert. I’m positive it’s come up before, but I just couldn’t quite remember enough details to be useful. 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections