WA
Posted By
Wally_Anglesea
Dec 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The latest edition (issue 12) of the magazine isn’t online yet, but I just picked up my copy. I won a digital photo competition. Didn’t come first, but somewhere in there. The magazine used 3 of the 4 photos I sent in for consideration, which was nice. I didn’t manipulate the images at all, because I wanted to show what you could do with basic equipment.

The first doesn’t come up well in the magazine, and looks much better when blown up.

So I won a copy of Photoshop Album, since I already have Elements 2.

Nice to be published though

The magazine is Better Digital.
http://www.betterdigitalonline.com/

Just had to brag to someone online. 🙂

Cheers,
Wally from OZ

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 10, 2003
Wally, that’s great news! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 10, 2003
wow, i’m freekin for ya…great ! the link didn’t work for me though ;(
JD
Juergen_D
Dec 10, 2003
Wally,

Neat! Congrats! Let us know when the issue goes online.

Cheers,
Juergen
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 10, 2003
Congratulations Wally. I couldn’t get the link to work either. I did find this one:

<http://www.betterdigitalphotography.com/index.html>

Is that the one

Dick

EDIT: Nope that’s not it. The original link finally loaded. It took a while even on dsl.
B
bethC
Dec 10, 2003
Wally – yep, this is the place to share! 🙂
The link works for me – looking forward to seeing the photos online. Congrats!
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 10, 2003
Wally,

That looks like a great mag. Are you a subscriber? There is a downloadable page with pictures related to articles, a really cool feature. One that I saw talked about a Polaroid Transfer. If you read that one can you fill us in?

Dick
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Dec 10, 2003
wrote in message
Congratulations Wally. I couldn’t get the link to work either. I did find
this one:
<http://www.betterdigitalphotography.com/index.html>
Is that the one

Dick

EDIT: Nope that’s not it. The original link finally loaded. It took a
while even on dsl.

Yeah, it’s slow in Oz too. I think there are network issues.

I’ll put my photos up on a webpage next week.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 10, 2003
Wally

Congratulations it is so nice to be able to rub shoulders with a winner.

Grant
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Dec 10, 2003
wrote in message
Wally,

That looks like a great mag. Are you a subscriber? There is a downloadable
page with pictures related to articles, a really cool feature. One that I saw talked about a Polaroid Transfer. If you read that one can you fill us in?
Dick

G’day Dick,
Yeah, I started buying the mag about 5 issues ago. It’s pretty high quality.
The Polaroid Transfer issue was issue 5 I think, and I don’t have a copy. However, seeing as how I’m a winner :-)), I’ll contact the editor, and ask him a favour.

I’ll let you know. Give me a couple of days.

Cheers,
Wally from OZ.
R
Ray
Dec 10, 2003
CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Ray>
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 10, 2003
Wally,

That is such a great thing to happen… I can’t imagine!

(I haven’t been published since I had a poem printed in the Thanksgiving pageant program in 3rd grade)

Good for you!!

Byron
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 10, 2003
Congratulations!
It is a wonderful feeling to be a winner.

Leen
J
JesusIsGod
Dec 10, 2003
Hi Wally,

God bless you and Congratulations! Noticed it’s an Australian magazine. Actually, I went ‘down under’ for the first time a few weeks ago – very beautiful south of the equator 🙂 Got some nice shots there.

Please let us know when your pictures are posted.

Cheers,
Robert
BM
Brett_Matthews
Dec 10, 2003
Wally,

Greetings and congrats from a fellow winner in the same competition!! This forum must be doing something for us.

I used Elements to crop one of the pictures I entered and to correct a colour cast in the other. I must have got the cropping right, because the judge complimented me on the composition.

Brett Matthews.
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Dec 10, 2003
wrote in message
Wally,

Greetings and congrats from a fellow winner in the same competition!! This
forum must be doing something for us.
I used Elements to crop one of the pictures I entered and to correct a
colour cast in the other. I must have got the cropping right, because the judge complimented me on the composition.
Brett Matthews.

Hey Brett, Nice to see you here. Yeah, your pictures are *really* nice. Nice kids too.

Congrats on your win. I liked them.

Unfortunately, my "Tim, after Titian" doesn’t come up good in the magazine, because of the size. But he’s right. The full sized, professionally printed version is hanging on a wall in our house.

Culburra beach isn’t far from me I think. Small world huh?

You should join in on the various challenges here. Awesome stuff, and with your new software :-)), you could do some good stuff.

Cheers,
Wally from OZ
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Dec 10, 2003
I just realised, that’s TWO aussie "award winning" published photographers. in one forum!!

OK, it was just a magazine, and not the archibald prize or anything, but nice to know, huh?

:-))

Cheers,
Wally from OZ.
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Dec 10, 2003
OK, I’ve put the images up for the next month or so on

http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/bdphotos.html

The "Tim, after Titian" comes up on the web much better than the image in the magazine. The actual professional print is very satisfying to me.

I’ll leave the images up for a month.

Brett, you *really* should put your two portraits up on the web. They are excellent studies. I’m sure everyone here will like them. What camera are you using, by the way?

If you can’t put them up, get them to about 500K, you can email them to me, if you want, at wanglese "at" bigpond.net.au, with some words, and I’ll include them for the next month.

Cheers,
Wally from OZ.
BM
Brett_Matthews
Dec 10, 2003
Wally,

Winning a prize was a very pleasant surprise. The kids got a real thrill when I came home with a magazine with their picture in it!

My photography has improved out of sight since I bought a digital camera, probably because I take so many more shots.

The software is a big help too, it gives me a margin for error that film never did. I notice you won the PS Album software, I have it and it is very useful. I hope you get v2.0, there were a lot of complaints about v1.0, although it worked OK for me.

You are right, Culburra is not far away – on the coast near Nowra. The photos in the mag were taken at Lake Conjola, near Ulladulla.

Cheers,
Brett.
BM
Brett_Matthews
Dec 10, 2003
Wally,

Just read your last post. I use a Nikon Coolpix 885. I bought it about 18 months ago, the main thing I wanted was the ability to have some manual controls, as well as point & shoot.

It cost a ridiculous amount of money at the time, compared to todays price for the 4300 that replaced it. But I’ve never regretted spending the money.

I’ll wait and see if Better Digital publishes the photos on their site before I try myself. Thanks for the offer.

Brett.
KW
Kyle_White
Dec 10, 2003
Wally,

WOW!

Kyle
B
bethC
Dec 10, 2003
Wally, the photos are great. 🙂
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 10, 2003
Congratulations to you both!
IK
Irene_K
Dec 10, 2003
Congrats, Wally!

Irene K
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 10, 2003
Wow, two competition winners here! Congratulations, Wally and Brett.

Shan
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 10, 2003
WALLY,
I love the New Zealand garden but your work is always outstanding. I’m proud to say I (sort of)know you. Be looking forward to buying the magazine. It looks like a good one.
Marty
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 10, 2003
BRETT,
I’m still looking for your pictures. Where can I find them? Marty
LM
Lou_M
Dec 10, 2003
Wally (& Brett),

Congrats on the pictures. It’s always fun to win.
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 11, 2003
Hi Wally & Brett,

I’m a newbie here, but congratulations to both of you for being winners! Way to go!

Wally, I especially loved the pic of the spider. We have pet spiders here too (we call them Pete, Pete1, etc.), although the grandkids don’t appreciate their presence. If I can ever get them interested in gardening, they’ll understand their importance. Some are really beautiful.

Barb
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 11, 2003
Congratulation to both of you ….

Wendy
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Dec 11, 2003
Thanks all, for your comments. I’m glad you liked the shots

Entering the comp was a huge jump of confidence for me, and it’s the first time I’ve ever shown my pictures in such a public place. Coincidentally, my wife, Mary, who is the *real* photographer in our family (she has 3 Minoltas, and more lenses and attachments than I can count), won best photo of the year 2003 at her local Camera club the same week.

Brett’s photos are probably among the best natural poses for portraits I’ve seen in that magazine, so I wish he’d put them up so you could see them.

Barbara, yeah, the spider is awesome. She’s been there for about a year or so now. Theres a guy in Queensland who gave me a bunch of information on them, apparently they stick around, and don’t wander off if they find a nice place. She, and I think one of her daughters, keep the roaches down. :-))

Cheers,
Wally From OZ.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections