SG
Posted By
Scottie_G.
Jun 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Don’t know if anyone can help, but in OSX suddenly with Apples calibration, the step called "display adjustment" does not seem to be working. The gray oval does not get lighter or darker as I adjust brightness.

Now is 9.2.2 it works fine and the brightness is at 14.
In 10.3.4 it’s not working and with my eyeball, I need a brightness of 60 for monitor not to look too dark.

also the d65 setting which I’ve always used in OS9, looks bit yellow or funky or something I can’t put my finger on in X.

OS 10.3.4 & Photoshop CS

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GB
g_ballard
Jun 28, 2004
The normal maintenance, spare user
<http://www.macdesignonline.com/issues/julaug03/DrMac.html>

Trash all old profiles, shutdown, zap pram on reboot, build a new profile, highlight fresh OEM profile BEFORE running Calibrate feature…
SG
Scottie_G.
Jun 28, 2004
Thanks Glen:
Can you guide me to where those dang colorsync profiles are located these days, and what is "OEM"?

Also, anyone know what the "native display" option is in OSX calibration? I go by bruce F. tip in real world photoshop to use D-65, but that native one seems to look better.
GB
g_ballard
Jun 29, 2004
first open Displays> Color and note the Name of the highlighted profile Then Search the local HD for that name

ICC Profiles, AKA ColorSync profiles are kept in System AND User Library> ColorSync> Profiles folders

If the enabled profile was a custom profile, toss it and any old custom monitor profiles in the trash…

OEM: If you have a Sony monitor, there are canned "Original Equipment Merch." profiles to download from Sony — use these as a starting point to run the "Calibrator"…or just load a fresh sRGB, then "calibrate"

I like the color of 6500k, native ‘may’ be closer to 9200k (blu
GB
g_ballard
Jun 29, 2004
i’m sur u sen ths butt in case
<http://www.gballard.net/nca.html#getagoodscreen>
SG
Scottie_G.
Jun 29, 2004
Glen:
Yes the native looks exactly like the 9300, which I never used to choose, but whites look white with it. D65 very yellow.

The "display adjument" still not working (OSX). So I’m stuck, deleted all old profiles and repaired permissions.
GB
g_ballard
Jun 29, 2004
If the display adjustment is misbehaving via OS X software (okay OS 9 software) then your install sounds bad, unless you have one of those X-incompatible monitors mentioned in my earlier link.

I can’t image 6500 looking yellow…may want to review my links (for ruling out a bad monitor profile) and spare user.

Good Luck!
B
Buko
Jun 29, 2004
can’t image 6500 looking yellow

I can
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Jun 29, 2004
The D6500 looking yellow problem happens to me in OS 9.2.2 using Colorsync 3.04 with my 19" CRT running off my pismo powerbook.

It didn’t use to do this in previous versions, but I could make it happen in older Apple Calibrators by selecting a Trinitron phosphor set as apposed to an sRGB/Hitachi Ikegami generic set. The Trinitron would make D65 look yellow and D93 looked brightest white but with a slight pinkish hue. So I always settled on the sRGB or Hitachi Ikegami (D65 nonyellow look) choice both giving the same results with slight variations in PS color managed previews .

The difference is I’ve always had this problem where as in your case it suddenly happened. Glad you posted this occuring in OS X because it confirms issues I’ve been having with the Apple Calibrator in OS 9.

Are you using an Apple LCD/CRT or third party display? This seems to be the key in all this.

Did you at any time disconnect and reconnect your display?

What happens on my CRT is if I trash display prefs, shutdown and disconnect my display, restart, run just the pismo LCD, then shutdown, reconnect the CRT and restart, an OEM name of my CRT comes up as my monitor profile by default. In the Colorsync folder it shows up as Display 256 with an alias containing the OEM name.

This profile comes from the monitor’s ROM chip written in by the manufacturer into my system. It has an odd 1.6 gamma correction along with its own white point/phosphor describers.

The new Apple Calibrator is now reading only from this ROM chip to get phosphor and native white point readings and I can’t over ride it. If your monitor drifts from this state, and my six year old monitor has, your stuck using the white point slider that makes D65 look yellow depending on if the ROM data uses sRGB/Hitachi Ikegami or Trinitron phosphor describers. It might be for me this ROM data is corrupting the calibration/profile building process in some way. I don’t know for sure.

What does this have to do with your problem? It’s just to illustrate the weirdness of Mac’s system level interaction that can occur with third party displays, system upgrades, different video cards and the Apple Calibrator.

How to fix? From my experience, I dumped Apple Calibrator and switched to SuperCal. It disregards the ROM chip info, allows any white point look and phosphor select I want (sRGB) for spot on previews in PS. It behaves like the old Apple calibrator but with a more precise visual WP adjust. I hate having to tap, tap, tap the monitor’s RGB buttons on the front to get a close enough white point.

Another solution I just discovered recently on my severly color drifted six year old 19" CRT is to set my profile to sRGB (the one that visualy changes the display to 2.2 gamma) and pull the back off my monitor and readjust the RGB bias screws on the neck end of the tube. (Not recommended-very dangerous voltages)

I load the PDI image file (downloaded from gballad’s site) containing known memory colors and adjust comparing to an Epson 2200 print of this file under D50 lighting with spot on results. I don’t even have to use a SW calibrator, but I will later on when the display drifts.
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 21, 2008
R7H,

I see no reason why you shouldn’t be able to do good hardware calibration.

Neil

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections