KM
Posted By
Kevin_Marsh
Dec 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have several plug-ins (third-party) that are not appearing in my Filters or Effects drop-down menus. Troubleshooting, I have copied them into several folders including <plug-ins>, as well as <filters> and <effects> both under <plug-ins>.

Please help.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RR
Raymond Robillard
Dec 15, 2003
Kevin,

Sometimes, Plugins will not appear as their download name, but will be there under a different name. You don’t have to put them in any other folder than the plugins folder (no sub-folder).

They will not appear in Effect, though. They will be in the Filter Menu, in the bottom part (passed the —- line).

If you can tell us one of the plugin you’ve downloaded (like the web address you got it), some of us might be able to tell you the exact name to look for.

Also, make sure you restart Elements to see them (quit and launch Elements again).

Ray
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 15, 2003
The likely thing is that they were written for a diferent version of the operating system than you are using – plugins are platform specific – Mac OS 9. macOSX and windows all require different versions of the plug in.

Susan S.
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 15, 2003
How many plug-ins have you downloaded? If it’s too many, the excess will get knocked off the list. When I say too many, I mean your list of filters scrolls all the way down the screen to your task bar. If this is the problem, it knocks them off alphabetically in decending order…so filters starting with Z are first to disappear.

Also check a couple of other places…example I have some Toad Pool filters that showed up under Distort Filters. I also have two filters that showed up under file batch processes.
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 15, 2003
Hi Susan, I still use OS 9.2.2, I haven’t really wanted(dared) to go up to X yet. But I did notice that the new Xenoflex 2, EyeCandy 4000, and Splat work from OS 8 up through 10.+.
However, I am still dragging my feet on the iMac that my husband wants to get for me. There is some stuff I have now, that for me to use it with OS X, I would have to purchase new versions all over again.
Jane
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 16, 2003
Jane – I’m trying to summon up the courage to upgrade from 10.1.5 to 10.3. As it happens I’m wondering whether the decision is about to be made for me – I’ve had two or three kernel panics a day in the last three days – and the only advice I can get from apple is to reinstall the system with a clean install (having done all the obvious troubleshooting). Well if I’m going to have to do that, then I may as well reset the hard-drive up with the new OS….

Susan S.
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 16, 2003
Kernal Panics! MacWorld magazine scared me when I read about that, a clean install Oh, not for me, I am very timid when it comes to things like that.
MacWorld with all its OS X articles over the last year has really made my decision to stay with good old stable OS 9.2.2 until it is free of all these things that I don’t understand. My son-in-law ‘speaks’ UNIX, but I would hate to bother him with my stuff.
I think that by spring, maybe May or June, OS X will be OK for timid me. By then, a new iMac with everyhting all installed and running, that might be the time for me.
I have used the new Macs in our local store, and they are really nice, but I have my G4 all customized and running everything that I want very happily. I was a bit worried about my old software and all the goodies like
Kaleidoscope and silly but fun stuff that either wouldn’t be available for X or would have to purchase it all over again. I do like the new way that OS X handles all the windows that we have open on the desktop, I am guilty of that, but I use windowshade all the time. I guess it would take getting used to, but I still am waiting,,,,,
Jane
KM
Kevin_Marsh
Dec 16, 2003
It looks like re-starting Elements was all that was necessary.

Thanks.

Kevin
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 16, 2003
Oh, yes, Kevin, we forgot to tell you that part! That’s true of many of the addons for Elements; they don’t know until the program has been restarted.

Jane – if you wait for the OS to be free of all of the things you don’t understand, you’ll never make the move! I strongly recommend the way I’ve made the transition. I bought Jaguar about a year ago and installed it on my computer along with OS 9. For the last 11 months I’ve been making the transition and getting used to the new way things run. The learning curve comes in understanding that OS X has maintenance routines just like previous versions. They’re just different. If you follow the general guidelines, it runs very smoothly. Yes, Susan is now having problems, but eventually your OS 9 system will need work, too; it’s just that the symptoms will be slightly different and they’ll have a different name. You clearly are very skitterish about this, so a gradual move might provide a lot of comfort! It also gives a way to replace software gradually, rather than having to do it all at once.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Dec 16, 2003
I have suggested that in the first post 😉
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 16, 2003
Sorry – missed that! I think I also suggested it last year when I was doing it! 🙂
RR
Raymond Robillard
Dec 16, 2003
LOL !

Last year, I didn’t know any of you. If I recall correctly, I joined here in February, or close to. I’m still a child around here 😉
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 16, 2003
Hi Ray, I got here in March or therabouts too. I got PSE 2 for my birthday in late February, and couldn’t do a thing with it.
Thanks to you all, I am having a fantastic time with it now!

Yes, I will go for the new iMac and OS X version whatever this spring,,,,,,,,unless Santa squeezes one down our chimney in the meantime.
Jane
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 16, 2003
Whe it is working well, OSX – even the old version I have – is immensely stable. I’ve had very few problesm up until now – the only one I have had has been hardware related – and I’m not convinced that this one is software yet – but it seems the only way to diagnose is to reinstall. I’m going out this moning to buy an external harddrive to back Everything up onto (I finallly got sick of copying my itunes library onto CDs!), and a copy of Panther…Hopefully I can fix the problem with a reinstall. I couldn’t bear to be away from my imac over Christmas…

Susan S
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 17, 2003
I too got Elements a birthday present but mine was in May … it is the best present I have ever had but since getting it I have done little else but play around with it. Sometime I really must get back to doing the housework!!

Jane … I’m using an older version of OSX (10.2.4) and have had no problems at all with it.

Susan … We bought the LaCie 120 and it has been great … it is so nice to have loads of space to play with.

Wendy
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 17, 2003
Mine is a LaCie(60) too, nice machine, just turn it on, copy the stuff over, and shut it off. Fan is a bit noisy but it is only on for short times.
My brother wants me to come over and bring his new OS X eMac home here, its got all the latest goodies on it, but the thing weighs 60 lbs and I dont need it. All the stuff I need is on my G4, oh well, I might get my husband to go fetch it tomorrow. See if I like OS X,,,,,,Should use it over at his house and not have to drag it over here. Jane
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 17, 2003
Susan, kernel panics are most often hardware-related. Have you checked all peripherals and their drivers? If you are having panics now the only way that panther is likely to help would be if it happens to have an updated driver for whatever is causing them now. Do you have a usb hub–they are real panic-makers a lot of the time.
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 17, 2003
Barbara – my feeling is that it is hardware related, but the Apple people won’t beleive me until I’ve reformatted and reinstalled the system – if I’m going to do that I may as well take the oportunity to move to 10.3.

I’m kernel panicking with the only thing plugged in the mouse and keyboard and an ethernet ADSL modem…. The kernel error messages seem to point to a USB problem (I don’t have a hub)…and the mouse has been acting up a bit…(It’a a standard apple mouse, came with the machine) but I had very similar problems just before the death of a hard drive, so it could be anything. I’ve ran the hardware diagnostics and it didn’t show up anything. It’s a nuisance…

Susan S.
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 17, 2003
Reinstall/upgrade proceeded well so far – I’m back running safari now…..still have to rreinstall Elements yet, but no kernel panics yet! And all my photos and stuff survived.

Susan S.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 17, 2003
Susan, that’s great news!!
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 17, 2003
Still running well…..all my drivers work (tablet, scanner and printer), Elements and all the multitudes of add-ons were reinstalled without a hitch. And 10.3.1 has some way cool features – ichat is an amazing little app – if you have broadband it means you can have audio chats – much cheaper than the phone for international calls. All I have to do is to persuade my parents ot get a mac now! – and with a webcam or an isight, you can add video conferencing for virtually nothing.

I wonder what else is hiding in this little box of tricks? Now all I have to do is work out what has to be done about maintenance in 10.3.1.

The reformat and reinstall would have been next to impossible to do in the five hours that it took me if I hadn’t had an external firewire drive to back everything up on (altho’ the backing up process was a bit fraught – I got a kernel panic in the middle of it and it hosed the external drive completely. It wouldn’t mount and I had to pray while I reformatted…luckily that worked!) I’ve still got to update all my apps to the latest versions (with the trouble I was having I only backed up my user data – it would have been easier with a complete back up, which I now have) Luckily the broadband makes that a bit quicker!
Susan S.
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 17, 2003
Just reading this, I have got the chills,,,,,,,,
But I do know that when I get my iMac that you are there to help me with this as well as PSE! There sure are some realllly neat things about OS X, I did spend a bit of time in our little local Mac store recently.

Jane
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 17, 2003
Jane a kernel panic is just the same thing as a crash. Do you not know anyone who ever had a crash in 9? (Must not know many mac folks, if so <g>)

Susan, glad it’s going well. Did you check for a firmware update for your firewire drive first? Lacie has one–can’t remember what you said you have.
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 17, 2003
That’s not so bad then, I have one once in a while, I just clean it up and go forth. Kernel Panic just sounds bad, sort of like when the kids put something in the microwave that exploded, that’s my kind of a kernel panic.
I am going to that little store on Friday and play with the new Macs again,,,,,,,, Jane
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 17, 2003
Barbara – it’s a Lacie 400 (not 800!) – so there isn’t (as far as I can see) a firmware upgrade for it – I checked that it wasn’t one of the ones affected by the problem before I bought it!. Personally I find the kernel panics more disconcerting than an OS9 crash…but most of the time the nice thing about OSX is that if an app does crash it doesn’t bring down the system with it, it’s just a matter of carrying on, no need for a restart. When it’s happy it is very very stable.

Still running smoothly (everything crossed!)

Susan S
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 17, 2003
Yes, there is Susan. It’s not mandatory, but it’s a good idea to install it. You do need to be able to boot up into 9 to apply it, though. I have a D2400 and it sped things up a lot after Installed it.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 17, 2003
Glad everything is going well Susan …. will keep my fingers crossed for you too.

We have just installed Mail and transferred everything over from Outlook Express … went over quite easily and so far everything is going well.

Wendy
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 18, 2003
Barbara – my D2 400 is sufficiently new that it already has the latest firmware! (bought it yesterday) – I did check with the OS9 updater and there isn’t anything more recent than what I have. It runs quite fast….. Still no OSX crashes. I have brought OS9 down about four times tho’! (legacy games – I’ve removed them now!)

Susan S.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 18, 2003
Hi, Susan. That’s great news!
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 19, 2003
Looks like it was hardware after all, causing the kernel panics! My mouse has just died and I suspect that this is no coincidence – I assume that because Panther is more stable it could cope with an intermittently function mouse, while 10.1 could not.

Good job I have a graphire..

Susan S.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 19, 2003
Dying mice have been known to cause KPs, so that’s probably it, Susan. Good. Now you can just enjoy panther without worrying. BTW, did you know that 10.3.2 is out?
CS
carl_sutherland
Dec 21, 2003
Hi Barbara,

The Microtek 6800 driver for 10.3 is not out yet. They do have that work-around you wrote about a while back and did not favor. Should I still stay with 10.2 until the "real" driver is released? I’m just starting to do some of my scanning work, but I’m anxious to install Panther I bought.

Many thanks

Carl
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 21, 2003
Hi, Carl. Well,that’s the thing about Microtek and their scanners. You can’t have a microtek and also keep upgrading when new OS updates come out.

I would stay with jaguar. IMHO, panther isn’t that big a deal, really. It’s just an update, albeit a big one, not like a whole new OS or anything.
CS
carl_sutherland
Dec 21, 2003
Hi Barbara,

HHHHMMMM. I think you tried to tell me that-several times in fact. I think I may put my Microtek up on my wife’s W98 2ed, do my scanning there, copy to CD or DVD which I need to do anyway, then load the images on my MAC and work in PE 2 there. Any comments? Seems OK?

Carl
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 21, 2003
It seems like a lot of trouble to me!!! Why don’t you just stick with Jaguar until Microtek updates those drivers? I bet it won’t be too long. From what Barbara says, it’s not a major upgrade. If everything is working fine for you, why change? Haven’t you ever heard "If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?"! 🙂
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 21, 2003
Is there anything in particular in panther that you need to have, Carl? You aren’t having any problems in jaguar, are you.

Beth, Microtek is very, very bad about updating drivers for their products. They have new scanners that scan fine in X, but basically told everyone with an older scanner "Suckers–so buy a new one" when X came out.

So Carl, hopefully new drivers will be along, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Still as long as Jaguar is working for you (I wouldn’t have gone to panther except that I had to), you’re fine. The only problem will come if they don’t come up with a driver before you need new software that won’t run on anything less than panther, and that’s not likely to happen soon.
CS
carl_sutherland
Dec 21, 2003
Hi Barbara and Beth,

I have had zero difficulty with Jaguar. What a wonderful change from 98! I guess i’m just a sucker for a sales pitch. I was convinced I wanted Panther that I bought it and I now want to install it. If there is something in it I particularly need, I don’t know it yet. So, I’ll just sit tight with Jaguar for awhile.

Many thanks

Carl

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections