ML
Posted By
Mel_Lewis
Dec 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My dexterity is not very good, and I was wondering if there would be a gain from using a tablet instead of a mouse?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EM
Elena Murphy
Dec 17, 2003
A tablet would not only offer you more control over the cursor, but you would be able to use the pressure sensitivity to affect your brushes in very interesting ways. I highly recommend a tablet, especially if you’re doing a lot of strokes with the various brush tools. It boils down to, what are you more versatile with, a pencil or a hockey puck? You could try to find a store that will let you play with one…
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 17, 2003
Mel, if you want to try your luck with a tablet that won’t break the bank, Sam’s Club still has the Wacom Graphire 2 for $49.90. That’s considerably less than they originally retailed for, and it’s been reported here to be a good ‘starter’ tablet. I bought one, just haven’t had time to install yet.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Dec 17, 2003
wrote …
My dexterity is not very good, and I was wondering if there would be a
gain from using a tablet instead of a mouse?

It is not you. It’s the mouse. When you use a tablet and stylus, your hand assumes a more natural position for writing. It is more comfortable and effective.

Ed
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 17, 2003
I just got a Graphire 2, and am getting used to it, Hockey puck vs. a pencil, that is a great comparison!
Jane
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 17, 2003
Mel, it takes a couple of days to get used to but once you get the hang of it…you’ll wonder why you didn’t go tablet before. They are well worth the purchase price. I couldn’t find a Graphire 2 but paid $99 for the Graphire 3…still felt it was well spent money. (I’m not suggesting one version over the other just saying even if you can’t find the $49 Graphire 2…. it’s still worth it at $99 for the Graphire 3).

Terri

Terri
RR
Raymond Robillard
Dec 17, 2003
Mel,

Are you able to draw with a pencil? If so, a tablet will help. If not, and I don’t know "bad" your dexterity is, other than feeling much natural, if you can’t draw a straight line with your hand and pencil the stylus will not make things easier for you. It does not make things better, it only helps.

However, if you can draw just fine (not Art, but basic shapes) on real paper, then you will certainly benefit from having a tablet. In this case, your current mouse is holding you.

If, on the other hand, all you want to do is to better the way you control the cursor in color touchup or precise cursor movements, then no matter how good or bad at drawing you are, the tablet will most definitively improve your results!

Ray

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections