DR
Posted By
David_Ris
Dec 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I was trying to work with layers last night, and I must be doing something wrong.

I was trying to correct a red eye problem on a photo, using the laso tool.

I would create a new layer, copy the red eye from the photo, but when ever I would attempt to paste the red eye into the layer by pressing CTRL V, or even EDIT/PASTE, the entire layer drop down would disappear. Quite maddening!

I have to be doing something wrong — rite?

Any suggestions?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 18, 2003
You don’t need to create the new layer first. Just use the lasso tool and highlight the area that you want to copy, and then do your copy and paste. Elements will create the new layer automatically. I suspect that what you did was created the new layer and then tried to copy while the new layer, which is blank, was selected. And that won’t work. Also, have you tried using the redeye tool?
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 18, 2003
David,

Because I typically use "Layer via Copy" in a situation like you describe, I was unsure whether Elements’ Copy/Paste works as expected.

So I tried to duplicate your steps to see if I could make it happen the same way.

I created a new, blank layer, then lassoed a portion of the background, hit CTRL-C, switched to the blank layer, hit CTRL-V, and the lassoed portion was copied into the blank layer successfully.

Starting again, I simply lassoed a portion, hit CTRL-C, then hit CTRL-V, and Elements automatically created a new layer containing a copy of the lassoed portion.

A third try, identical to the second with the exception that I used Edit > Copy and Edit > Paste instead of keyboard commands, resulted in the same, desired new layer containing just the selection.

So, sorry, but I am unable to duplicate the trouble you’re having, as you describe it. Maybe I misunderstand some key point in your process?

Byron
DR
David_Ris
Dec 18, 2003
Byron, thanks for walking through the process. You have described what I did very accurately. I will have to work with it some more this evening.

Jim, to answer your question, yes I did try the redeye tool, with no success there either. All I managed to do was to turn the red into a grey-ish color, so I wanted to try the lasso method.

I’m convinced that I am using the redeye incorrectly also.

I’m reasonably new to Photoshop Elements, so this is unfamiliar territory.

I will keep plugging away.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 18, 2003
I’m convinced that I am using the redeye incorrectly also.

David, no you’re not. The red eye tool just replaces the hue without making any other changes, so the gray, unfortunately, is a normal result. You can try using the burn tool afterwards. Lots of us don’t like the red eye tool.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections