NB
Posted By
Nancy_Browne
Jul 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How can I add this effect to the edges of a photo?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Jul 12, 2004
Burn or tear a piece of paper.

scan it.
JS
Josie_Siwinski
Jul 13, 2004
There is also software called photo/graphic edges by auto/fx. It’s a plug-in software that works great with photoshop… I use it all the time and you can do the edges as well as lighting effect and texture… I think you may be able to find it online but I’m not sure on the price.
NB
Nancy_Browne
Jul 13, 2004
Thanks Josie. That’s exactly what I was looking for.
J
jonf
Jul 13, 2004
Buko’s suggestion isn’t flippant. Usually that’s the best and most efficient way of getting this sort of effect, and you can get precisely what you want rather than making do with someone else’s interpretation of what it should look like. But I’ve used PhotoGraphic edges and find it works really well.
B
Buko
Jul 13, 2004
when I make a torn edge I always make a new tear and scan it. that way I know that only my tear looks that way. I have found that photographic paper tears best because of the layer of emulsion.
KH
Kath_Howard
Jul 13, 2004
A tutorial <http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/torn/torn.htm> – probably not as realistic as you’re looking for.
NB
Nancy_Browne
Jul 15, 2004
Thanks to ALL for the suggestions. The link was also very helpful as well.
CV
chris_vreeland
Jul 15, 2004
I downloaded the auto/fx demo, which has some nice effects, but WOW, what a horrid interface. I use Extensis Photoframe, and have been pretty happy with it.

One time though, I needed an old, crumpled paper look for a CD cover, and spent hours trying to get it right with filters before it dawned on me to get up out of the chair and go find a real piece of old, crumpled paper and scan it. Sometimes, there’s no substitute for the real thing.

Chris
NB
Nancy_Browne
Jul 15, 2004
Hey Chris,

I downloaded the demo as well and the problem for me was the EXTREME slowness of the application. Every change made took at least 15 to 20 seconds to execute. I had all other programs closed and have 2 gigs of ram installed on my computer so I don’t know what the deal is. Did you find that it was slow for you?

The scanning idea is looking a lot better.
P
Phosphor
Jul 15, 2004
It’s not for nothing that the application is named Photoshop.
S
Shep
Jul 15, 2004
Nancy,

There’s also this plug-in. Check out the Burnt Edges in "Xenofex" and the Torn Edges in "Splat" <http://www.alienskin.com/splat/splat_main.html>.
S
Shep
Jul 15, 2004
Oh…and just a comment on Auto/fx. They have a lot of cool looking filters/effects—-I don’t know if it’s just me being on dial-up—but their website drives me nuts the way every page is constantly cycling. I tried one of their sample downloads and it does "take over" the application (PS) and is slow and is a memory hog.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections