Color Managemen settings with Photoshop CS on a Mac G5 w/ Epson Stylus Photo 2200 Printer

JL
Posted By
James_L6_Smith
Jul 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Somebody please help me.

Several months ago I gave up my WinTel PC running Windows XP with Adobe Photoshop Elements printing to my Epson Stylus Photo 2200 Printer. I had been easily obtaining beautiful prints on Epson Premium Glossy Photo paper. But alas, the transition to the Macintosh has been difficult.

I have a Macintosh dual processor G-5 with 1.5gigs of RAM, and now using Photoshop CS and still have my Epson Stylus Photo 2200 printer with the same photo paper – but now I can’t get prints that formerly printed fine on the WinTel setup, to print properly. I have even downloaded ICC profiles from Epson, but that was of no benefit.

Can some one suggest the proper combination of Color Management setting for me to use with my Macintosh. I realize that both Adobe Photoshop CS and the Apple System software (10.3 – the very latest) each have their own Color Management systems.

Help!

Jim Smith

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Jul 15, 2004
Just follow the steps in this link to the letter:

<http://www.gballard.net/nca.html>
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 17, 2004
Jim,

We Mac folks like to help out new converts. Don’t be a stranger here!

Neil
ST
Scott T Martin
Jul 17, 2004
The Mac and Windows drivers behave exactly the same so if you use the exact same setting you will get identical output. Are you sure what your setting were when printing from the PC?
IL
Ian_Lyons
Jul 18, 2004
The Mac and Windows drivers behave exactly the same so if you use the exact same setting you will get identical output.

Strictly speaking – untrue!

Some of the colour settings on the Windows Platform are NOT replicated on the Mac Platform. Likewise ColorSync isn’t available on the Windows platform and for the record ICM isn’t even close!
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Jul 18, 2004
I thought printing strictly through PS color engine CM would take the system level enfluence out of color rendering to inkjet printer drivers.

Of course on second thought, I wonder inspite of this if OS X’s Quartz Extreme like Classic’s Quickdraw gets in the act differently with the printer driver from what Window’s graphics engine does if there is any interplay at all.
ST
Scott T Martin
Jul 20, 2004
Some of the colour settings on the Windows Platform are NOT replicated on the Mac Platform.

I didn’t say that, I said that if the exact same settings were used (like matte paper heavyweight, 1440, no color adjustment) you will get identical output. If you use different settings (like ICM on one and Colorsync on the other) then the output will of course vary.

In Jim’s case, if he wants to get identical output on the Mac he needs to make suer he’s using the same settings he used on the Windows driver. I just wanted to squash a potential fear that although it might look different on the Mac, it’s essentially all the same stuff.

Jim – how did you print on the PC? Did you select "No color adjustment" under the advanced tab? What were all of your exact settings?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections