Posted By
andrew_byczko
Oct 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I have a tiff file that is roughly 10MB. I am converting this file into a jpeg using Photoshop. The resulting jpeg file is about 1.5MB. I was wondering if there is any way to not compress the jpeg file so much, so that the quality would be better – say around 4 or 5MB. I have done the conversion on the highest quality setting – 12, but I’m still wondering if it is possible.

Thanks!

Andrew

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Oct 12, 2005
Jpeg 2000, change image size, depending what it is for, maybe you cold save it as a giff we few colours in it. but esentialy if i get what your saying, no!
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Oct 12, 2005
are you just trying to archive? other wise save for web.
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 12, 2005
Try saving as a TIFF with LWZ compression, which is lossless.
AB
andrew_byczko
Oct 12, 2005
Thanks for the replies. My issue was that I was trying to upload to a website. It HAS to be in jpg format. Well, this website provides a service for other people to go buy my photos and this site will print them for me. Well, uploading my current jpg (1.5mb) – I could have prospective customers print up to a 16 x 20.

Well, some of my pictures are in Tiff format (about 10mb), so I was hoping that that would give my customers more options – like a 24×30 (or whatever it is)…so the jpg is limiting my customers options on what size print they can purchase. I was hoping that I could convert the tiff to a "less compressed" jpg, so that I would still fit into the website’s guidelines of having a jpg, yet, the jpg would be a good enough quality to offer additional larger sized print options. Anyway, thanks for the information…it has been helpful.
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
so the jpg is limiting my customers options on what size print they can purchase

Not really, the initial size of your file is the limiting factor here…
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Oct 14, 2005
better to upload a jpeg to view on screen, and then a seperate file to down load and print.
DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 14, 2005
A jpg saved at the highest quality should provide a satisfactory quality for printing … if the resolution and image dimensions are satisfactory. I suspect a good print would take at least 200 pixels per inch, which for 24 x 30 would require dimensions of 4800 x 6000 in the jpg.

If this is not providing sufficient quality, you will need to go to a larger resolution, and more pixels, not another level of jpg compression.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 14, 2005
My online service give good 24 x 30 poster size with a long dimension of 3000 pixels.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections