CA
Posted By
Clint_Anderson
Dec 31, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am considering buying Photoshop Elements 2.0 to use on my iMac, with OSX 10.2. I think it appears to offer advantages that iPhoto doesn’t. What I would like to know is can I use this program to change the shape of images? Instead of square or rectangle, I would like to be able to create round or oval shaped photos and to be able to store, print or e-mail these shaped images. Is this possible with Photoshop Elements. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I can’t find the answer anywhere in the Adobe literature or online demo. Also, none of the sales people at Comp USA or Best Buy seem to know either…Thanks for any comments…

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 31, 2003

1) Not a stupid question
2) Yes, you can do shapes.
3) Once you have Elements come back and ask and we’ll help you.
4) There are no stupid questions
5) iPhoto is extremely limited for image editing. It’s more for organizing, etc. iPhoto can work in conjunction with Elements. Hopefully iPhoto 3 will be faster. Hope springs eternal.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 31, 2003
I agree with Mark on everything and adding something about the ability to send photos via e-mail directly out of Elements. It has that capability, but only for one image file at a time. This annoys some people a lot, but others, like me, have never used it and don’t care. Otherwise, what he said!
CA
Clint_Anderson
Dec 31, 2003
Mark and Beth…Many thanks…that was the one remaining question I had before buying elements with my Christmas gift certificates…You will no doubt be seeing my name on this forum in the future as I learn about my new toy…Again…Thankyou…
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 31, 2003
Clint,

I quite like iPhoto but only to use for Photograph Albums … Elements is a really versatile package for image editing and the things you can do with it are fantastic. Works great on the Mac OSX 10.2.4 … I did need to calibrate the monitor but thats about all.

Mark … Is iPhoto 3 going to be issued soon? …. my fingers are crossed that they sort out a better way to load different albums. The current way is hopeless!

Wendy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 31, 2003
Hi, Wendy. Apple never says anything before a release but there are many rumors of a whole new ilife at Macworld next week. Not too long to wait to see if it’s true.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 31, 2003
Not too long to wait to see if it’s true.

Steve’s Keynot is Tuesday 9:00am, in case anyone is wondering. I’ll be watching the live stream. And yes, iPhoto 3 would be nice wouldn’t it? I’m keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Joe
CS
carl_sutherland
Dec 31, 2003
Clint,

I agree with what’s been said about iPhoto and PSE 2. I use both all the time. You might want to look into the courses Sara Froelich teaches at <http://eclecticacademy.com/> . Several of us on this forum have been taking them. What you ask about is specifically covered among many other things. I even saw one post (rumour?) that our Ray Roballiard, one of the most helpful and innovative members, will be a co-teacher this semester of a new course with Sara. Whether he does or not, I have found them very helpful.

I am not affiliated with them other than as a student. I do not promote their courses. I do wish to share my experience with them. If I have violated some rule in discussing this I apologize, but I see it no differently than discussing other teaching aides such as books or teaching videos which we do all the time. If it helps people learn more about PSE so much the better I believe.

The discussion has gotten me interested in the Apple presentation!

Carl
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 31, 2003
Who cares about iLife and iPhoto 3? I want a speed hit on the G5s! 🙂
RR
Raymond Robillard
Dec 31, 2003
Carl, amazing but true! I am in the process to co-author a class with Sara. But I will not teach it, only Sara will. It’s going to be different from the other classes.

Ray
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 31, 2003
Hey, Ray! Do we address you as Perfesser from now on? 🙂

Shan
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 31, 2003
Hey, Ray, that’s great! Congratulations!
R
Ray
Dec 31, 2003
LOL Shan!!! No, not just yet 😉

My teaching career, a figure of speach, started several years ago. I created 6 lessons (and taught them) on the LOGO programming language ("Show Turtle", "Move Turtle 45", "Right 90", etc… good
memories!). The last "official" task I had, I was the trainer at a former job. I showed the IBM
Cash register system (both cash, controller and Supermarket Application).

Nowadays, I regularly receive requests over e-mail to show stuff to people (in PSE, Corel Painter, etc.) It’s fun actually, but I won’t make a career out of this. I just don’t have the patience and
the wisdom for that.

Ray
R
Ray
Dec 31, 2003
Thanks Barb 🙂

One a totally OT matter, can you send a link here (if it exists) where we’d be able to see Steve Jobs’ keynote address of next week? I’d appreciate watching it as a Mac is gonna be my next machine.

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 31, 2003
Sure, Ray. I’ll find the link on the apple site, but that one tends to bog down from too many people trying to watch there. I usually check Macsurfer <http://macsurfer.com> that morning for mirror sites.

Last year I wound up at MSNBC. 8^(
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 31, 2003
Ray, just checked. Apple url isn’t up yet. I’ll let you know once they post it.

EDIT Wherever it is, they usually have a link on this <http://www.apple.com/quicktime> page.
R
Ray
Dec 31, 2003
LOL !!!!!!!!!

Last year I wound up at MSNBC. 8^(

Thanks for the info. I’ll be eating at my desk on that day, just to make sure not to miss it.

Apple is rumored to launch a new iPod, at 100$ (US). That’s too cool !!!!!!!!!!! I’m at my 2nd MP3
player… (either they stop playing or I can’t upload music in ’em anymore). And, no, I’m not rough
with my stuff 😉
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 31, 2003
Ray, about the ipods–might want to read this <http://appleturns.com>. It’s the one headed "He said, she said."
R
Ray
Dec 31, 2003
Thanks Barbara, very interesting! Btw, I knew about their unit being non-hd based. Hence the 100$ price tag. That doesn’t really bother me, because with 2GB or, better, 4GB, that’s about 15 or 30 times more than my current player (128 Mb).

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 31, 2003
Well, my point is that all of this is just rumor so far. Maybe they’ll have a new ipod, maybe not. There have been all sorts of other rumors with no more basis in fact, like a photo ipod (knew I’d get a PE tie-in somewhere) but they didn’t get picked up by the credulous press. So who knows?
R
Ray
Dec 31, 2003
Now with berklin (or belkin…) you can upload pictures on your iPod while away from home. But the very expensive price of these beauties around here made me change my mind. Too bad, because I could
have made a good use of one. My birthday in in 14 days (Jan 13), so perhaps then… 😉

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 31, 2003
Ray, if it makes you feel any better the Belkin doesn’t work that great yet. Probably the next revision. Anyway, the rumor was an ipod with a display and video memory so that you could preview your photos on it.
R
Ray
Dec 31, 2003
This I never heard of… could be nice as well, but tiny LCD displays haven’t my preference. Just yet anyway. My 10D’s LCD is useless. I mean except for the histogram and the infos, the preview is
never on spot with the actual pictures.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 31, 2003
Yeah, not sure I’d care for it myself. Anyway, there are always big rumors and sometimes they’re true and sometimes they’re not. Last year everyone was confidently expecting a major new office suite and nothing came of it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections